Idle Issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Idle Issues

Reaction score
City, State
North San Diego Area
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Explorer Sport 4WD
so for the past few months (ever since i got the clutch done on my truck) my rpm's have been low. used to idle comfortably at 900-1000. now it idles at 500-600. check engine light pops on randomly when i'm driving and i either have to shift up and down until it goes off, shut truck off and restart, or push in the clutch and rev really high for a few seconds. any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the CEL has been "popping on", I'd start by pulling codes from the computer. We have several threads here (in this forum and the EEC-IV forum) that describe the test protocol.

don't have anyway of checking codes w/out taking it in. just know my idle is low and my check engine light pops up randomly due to it i think. already replaced the idle control sensor and not change. so seeing if there is anything anyone can think of that might help w/out having to take to a shop.

Not sure why you can't check the code. It's pretty easy with a paper clip & 30 minutes...
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255962
The TPS sensor may be bad. The CEL may be the TPS out of range code. I had the CEL come on at various points in my driving, & nothing seemed to be wrong & that was the cause.

thanks for the help. i'll give it a shot.

Back