• Register Today It's free!

Idle Problem w/ 96 4.0L

kmd1217

Reaction score
City, State
West palm beach. Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
96' XLT
i have a 96 automatic w/ a 4.0L engine. when i first start and the engine is cold. it idles at about 500 rpm's and bounces slighty but idles at about 700 when it warms up. what should the idle be at when the engine is cold. the engine has 83k miles on it and im not sure if the plugs have ever been changed. does this sound like bad plugs and wires or is it something else?

You take it to the ford dealer , they will just put in a new engine for 4000 dollars or so. But at least your truck will run good..... er...maybe.

The Idle Air Control (IAC) is probably the culprit. They are a common problem on our explorers. I just replaced mine for like 70 dollars from www.rockauto.com and it solved all of my cold-start idle issues. You can try to clean it too, search the threads on here. It probably wouldnt hurt to put on new plugs/wires if they havent been done before, either. Good luck.

ok thankyou for the tip. do you think you could send me and picture of it or where i can locate it and how difficult is it for me to install it myself?

Back