Idle surging/stalling vacuum repair for 50 cents!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Idle surging/stalling vacuum repair for 50 cents!!

HU112BU

Reaction score
City, State
Dillsboro IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport-trac
Hello all!!
New to the sight and wish to pass along my findings on our Sport-trac. It has been idleing rough for awhile now, and eventually started stalling at red lights. I wound up here at your forum searching for a possible fix when I found all the threads on the 00m12 "O" ring TCB. Was preparing to do the job, and decided to spray some either around the base of the intake to see if the idle would pick up. Sure enough, when sprayed from the passenger side toward the front it picked right up. Then I looked closer, and found a 90 degree rubber elbow in the vacuum line running up the side of the intake that had split from flexing. It is the larger of two vacuum lines that run parallel alongside the intake, and the elbow in question goes into the intake directly behind the throttle body. replaced it with a brake vacuum hose I cut from a Chevy :eek: Cavalier. Problem solved, fuel mileage/power increased, the sun came out, and God smiled. All is right with the world again. Hope this helps someone, and by the way, check yours out even if it isn't leaking already as this wasn't from rubbing, or faulty hose, or anything unusual with our vehicle. With use this appears to be a weak point in the vacuum system and IMHO they will all fail eventually. GL, and have a GREAT week!!

Tracy, 2001 Sport-trac 4.0 auto

Back