Simple Vacuum Tube Fix

Lhlalyam

Reaction score
City, State
Nanaimo
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer Sport Trac 2002
Hi everyone.

I did some searching in this forum for a possible fix for a vacuum tube. I have a 2002 Sport Trac that has an elbow portion of a vacuum tube that was damaged by the radiator hose.

Initially I thought it was the IAC valve which I replaced but once I changed it... the rough idle problem continued. I started digging around for a loose vacuum hose but discovered the melted hose.

Once found, I went to a parts place and they said I had to get the hose part from the dealership. So, I checked out the dealership and they want 50 bucks for the part.

I was wondering if someone could give me a tip for a home remedy for this elbow part of the vacuum tube?

Respects,
Lhlalyam

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know of a home remedy. However, I do recommend that you get the part number and fire an e-mail to Torrie of Fast Parts Network, a site sponsor: sales@fastpartsnetwork.com. He ordinarily can quote you a discounted cost on Ford parts.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll use this contact as a reference for sure. Where is the company located?

Lhlalyam

Torrie's in Florida.

Vacuum Tube Elbow

I had the same problem with my '01 ST. Autozone had a small elbow for about 5 bucks. It fit nicely and ended the problem. I recommend clamping the ends as they will eventually loosen up and create the vacuum leak again.

I think oil from the oil cap gets on the elbow and deteriorates the rubber over time. Mine had a narrow hole on the top of the elbow. When I first found it I used duct tape for a quick fix befor getting the hose.

This is good to know. I'll do this for next time as I went with the 50 dollar tube for the quick fix (*sigh*). Nice to not have the truck shaking around anymore.

Lhlalyam

Photos

I'm not the brightest when it come to locating a part under the hood. I'm getting a rough idle when the truck is in drive and I'm stopped at a red light. I've replaced the MAF and the IAC valve. Now I think it's a vacuum leak or bad PVC tube or valve. Where is the vacuum tube and the PVC valve located. Photos will help the most, I'm a visual learner.

Nimga: I have the same problem with my idle on my 02. I can't locate the pcv or elbow and want to replace them. Did you find them? GENO

The Elbow is on the side of the throttle body...

picture.php

And the PCV valve is on the back of the driverside valve cover...

picture.php

when i had to replace mine, i happened to swing by a pick n pull for an unrelated reason, and bought a heater hose with two clamps and a 90 degree bend in it for 1 dollar. i just cut it to length on each end, and it slipped right on, and i used the clamps for insurance too. best dollar i ever spent.

Back