Idler Pulley? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Idler Pulley?

ProtonPusher

Reaction score
Driving home from work today there was a loud thunk, the battery light came on, and the power steering went off. I got off to a side the road, parked and found the belt was off the pulleys, but not broken. I did not check much more, but I am thinking maybe a pulley (tensioner or idler?) broke. It was dark, I had to pick up my daughter, and I was in West Oakland (not a place to hang around after dark). Excuses, excuses!

Anyway, I am going to get it towed tonight, but I had a couple of questions. It is a 94 Mazda Navajo

1) Is a guess of a broken idler or tensioning pulley reasonable?
2) How hard is it to replace these pulleys? (less than a couple hours?)

The reason for these questions is whether or not to tow it to the mechanic, or home. In the past I would not hesitate to do it myself, but having a new daughter I’ve discovered time is a lot harder to come by!

Thanks for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very easy job especially since the belt is already off. :D Just a couple bolts holding it to the block if I remember right. I've never heard of one breaking like that. My bearing went bad and it sqealed like a pig before I replaced it.

Either the idler pulley or the tensioner is a very easy 15 minute replacement.

There is a single bot holding these in place,

Good luck .........

i replace both of mine (pully/tensioner) in about 15mins. very easy..luckly mine did not break..just sqeeled also.

Ok,
had it towed back to the house, and under closer inspection it is the tensioner pulley, or actually the lack of a tensioner pulley. It does look like an easy fix though.

Thanks for the help. :)

Just a FYI here.

When the pulleys (tensioner or idler) start getting noisy you can easily grease the bearings by carefully removing the seals with a small screwdriver. I've done this several times on my Ranger & Explorer.

Hope this helps,
SMC

Back