Year, Model & Trim Level
94 xlt
i have a 1994 explorer xlt with a couple minor add ons,

BBk 66mm tb
KKM intake
bosch spark plugs
taylor 8mm pro spyro wires
flowmasters (super 40 series)

and i cant figure this out, i have bought the code reader and have come up with no problems on that, i believe the code is 111 which reads everything passed.

but what is going on is while idling the rpms jump up and down, when in drive and at a stop it will either go to low or jump up to about a 1000rpms or idle fine.
its costing me a crap load of gas and its killing me! on a tank i get about 220 miles! which i usually get about 265 -300 miles. i was thinking that it could be the Iac or something but i dont wanna start spending $70+ for random guesses. any help or thoughts on what it could be ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With the engine running, unplug the IAC and see if the idle stabilizes at whatever rpm, if so clean it or better yet change it.

Please don't double post! Read my responce to your other post.

Mine started a similar idle problem. It would surge over and over again, and wasn't running too good overall. It ended up to be an almost totally plugged fuel filter. Stupid filter - it was only 12 years old with about 195,000 miles on it. Ya'd think they could make these things last :D

if i unplug the IAC and run the vehicle for say a day and see if thats the issue will it hurt anything? will it make it run worse not plugged in? cause that sounds worth trying

Sensor safe carb cleaner is fine for cleaning the MAF (answer to your other post).

can i also use that on the IAC?

also i am still awaiting an answer on is it ok to drive with the IAC unplugged! to see if thats my problem. any thoughts?

Unplugging the IAC is just to take it out of the system to see if the idle stabilizes. I wouldn't recommend driving like that, the check engine light would be on full time, you'll burn lotsa gas , your tcc won't engage etc. If it does turn out to be your IAC, carb cleaner can work but if you plan on keeping the unit for awhile better to buy a new one and be done with it.

Clean the IAC and MAF, and reset the computer, then see what the idle does...

if i clean it with brake cleaner should i re-lube it?

just use rubbing alcohol, or electronic parts cleaner, or carb cleaner. Brake cleaner is pretty harsh to be using on it

I am sorry i miss read up there i thougth it said brake cleaner when it said carb,

kind of weird how this problem doesn't show up on the code reader though.

Back