• Register Today It's free!

Idling Rough

Punjab

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Limited
This last week I started having rough idles after starting and once I stop at a red light. There is also some black crud collecting on the snow/ground near the tail pipe while it's running.

So since I'm due for an oil change I thought I'd Seafoam it and try to pull the codes. I popped the hood and started by removing the intake tube. When I pulled it off I turned it over and noticed some good sized cracks in the flexible sections on both ends. Is it possible that this could be my issue? I figured additional air entering the engine after the MAF can't possibly be a good thing.

94%20Explorer%20Intake%20Crack%2001.jpg

94%20Explorer%20Intake%20Crack%2002.jpg

Should I try making a shiny custom intake pipe or hit a junkyard for another plastic one?

Should I keep digging on the engine? I checked a couple spark plugs and they were dark but didn't look bad to me otherwise.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those intake tubes are plentiful and cheap at wrecking yards. I'd look there first. Some are in really good shape. I got one there.

Clean your MAF, try seafoaming it, and if your plugs are too new for you to want to replace, clean 'em up. See if it helps. Might wanna clean your throttle body, too. Not saying it would help the blackening snow, but it might help your idle. Notice it burning oil at all? You might just be running rich from all the unmetered air.

The unmetered air could definitely cause idling problems. You'd be running lean though, not rich.

The unmetered air could definitely cause idling problems. You'd be running lean though, not rich.

Definitely an issue here. There could be others, but this is a given and an easy repair.

$20 for a salvage yard intake and it seems to be back in tip top! I drove around and didn't get a check engine and it was idling great again.

Thanks guys!

That's great! I was going to say...you can repair your old intake tube, using Permatex Black. Yours doesn't look too bad, I think the Permatex Black would set up well in those cracks.

BTW, I had a hole in my intake tube also...and it caused a lean condition / pinging. After I resealed / repaired the tube, all's well.

As Rhett said, I'd keep the old one and goop it up for a spare. Pretty blatant problem and cheap fix too!

Back