If you are replacing ABS rotors... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

If you are replacing ABS rotors...

Brandon1993Sport

Reaction score
City, State
Corpus Christi, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport
I just want to post this pic here for anyone who's replacing front ABS rotors so they don't get the wrong part like I did today - I told them I had ABS :mad: . The exciter ring - I had read a lot about it but had no idea what it looks like - is on the inner side of the rotor. There is a metal sensor on the spindle that reads each notch of the exciter ring as it passes - this tells the ABS system how fast the wheels are moving. When you go to buy new rotors you gotta check for the ring yourself because the person behind the counter will often know less than you do about this. Here's a small picture of the ring I hunted down from the net:
images

I'm going to try to find my camera so I can do a ghetto picture by picture write-up of replacing the front rotors and bearings. The money I would have saved if I had just started doing this myself 5 years ago would probably be enough for a down payment on a new car. Also the ****ty jobs that service shops do are just amazing. It took me 30 minutes just to get my slide pins out, when I finally realized I needed to use a punch and hammer. They were rusted tight with no grease whatsoever, and I just had a complete brake job 8 months ago ($450 for just the front end...). When I got the caliper off I thought something looked funny and said, where's the other pad? The damn thing was stuck to the rotor because of the nonfunctioning slide pins I guess. Anyways, hopefully this picture helps someone avoids getting the wrong rotors like I did =)

Most rotors come with the exciter ring already on them, it's weird that yours didn't.

Mine came with the exeter pins

But I kept getting an ABS error light and my truck pulled HARD to the right when I braked. I took off the rotor, changed the exeter pin (luckily I still had the old rotors) and now I don't get the ABS light. The pins were exactly the same (as far as I can tell) and lined up perfectly when I laid them flat against each other. Not sure why this is the case, but people should know about the potential issue.
Karl

glad mine doesn't have abs, thats one headache elimininated

Back