Ignition actuator pin fix (big photos) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ignition actuator pin fix (big photos)

SmokeGrinder

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Uber Of All Possible Doom
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 explorer 4X4
As some of you may already know my ignition stopped working on my explorer the other week. For three weeks ive had to start my explorer by shorting out the terminals on the starter solenoid. Then to stop it I had to remove the 60 amp ignition fuse.

After making some posts on the forum and getting no reply :smoke: ;) :cool: :rolleyes: .....Today we attempted the impossible as you will see from some of these photos.

We had to remove the whole upper steering unit.

The pin has dropped out of the actuator where it bends to go over the height adjustable steering column.

Do not attempt this job at home; this was the most involved, hard, tiring, exhausting mission of a job on the face of the planet.

Enjoy.

DSC00388 (Medium).JPG

DSC00389 (Medium).JPG

DSC00390 (Medium).JPG

DSC00391 (Medium).JPG

DSC00392 (Medium).JPG

DSC00393 (Medium).JPG

DSC00394 (Medium).JPG

DSC00395 (Medium).JPG

DSC00396 (Medium).JPG

DSC00397 (Medium).JPG

DSC00398 (Medium).JPG

DSC00399 (Medium).JPG

DSC00400 (Medium).JPG

DSC00401 (Medium).JPG

DSC00402 (Medium).JPG

DSC00403 (Medium).JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I know what the problem is - the steering wheel is on the wrong side :) ....sorry, couln't resist.

You are braver than I tackling a job like that.............

Overkil said:
Well I know what the problem is - the steering wheel is on the wrong side :) ....sorry, couln't resist.

You are braver than I tackling a job like that.............

I was thinking the same thing! :p

yeah i wish there were some with me in the photos... :)

Who is that? Howard? If so man, you owe Howard, seems like he does all the work on your truck :p Just Kidding, and yea thats the problem, the steering/igniotion BS is on the wrong side!!!!

eh? well yes that is howard.... and i already know what i owe him... BS.? please dont cuss here kid..

What a job. This is a serious fix as you have to remove the entire top section of the steering column. Not to be attempted by amateurs. Tom did help a bit and while we had the dash board out we changed all the bulbs. I think he was getting a bit worried at one point as we had some trouble putting the big spring that works with the tilt mechanism back in. But with some ingenious use of cable ties we made it. This whole job was carried out with no manual and no pics of how it all went together.

A few comments.....

Howard:
Once again Tom gave you no name credit until it was mentioned!!!!Don't make me slap you around Tom!:D :banghead:

And....

THE CIG IS MISSING FROM ALL PICS !!! LOL;)

Crank. There was no point in saying he did the job. Look in all the photos........

Tom

SmokeGrinder said:
Crank. There was no point in saying he did the job. Look in all the photos........

Tom

Let's count the EF members who have met him, and know what he looks like....

3 U.K. people?
1 Canadian
1 American

Hehehe...for all they know, that could be YOU in the pics
6909icon_eek.gif

Crankcase said:

3 U.K. people?
1 Canadian
2 American

6909icon_eek.gif

Correction, I knew it was Howard, he's a great guy! ;)
Not that I have met him in person, but have talked with him on several occasions IM.

Great pics!!

I want that floor shifter.... I'll trade :p

Crankcase said:

3 U.K. people?
1 Canadian
1 American

6909icon_eek.gif

Lets count the people who have seen his mugshot on the website..... .errrr a few thousand

I will trade you with your shifter but both out cars will be out of action for a while i guess.......

I want the floor shifter too! Wanna trade Howard?

I will trade you with my floor shifter, the photos above are of my truck. We would also need to trade center consol’s, e-brakes, and your gage panel as we don’t have PRND12 on ours.

anyone else had this problem?

Back