• Register Today It's free!

Ignition and Key Swap Question

NorthShoreJoe

Reaction score
City, State
WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer
I bought a 2000 Explorer XLS from an auction that didn't have keys. The Locksmith at the auction wanted $200 for a new key to be made. I told him to take that key and you know the rest. I mean I only paid $320 for the Explorer, no way I'd pay almost that much for another key. Unfortunately, the 4.0 had coolant in the oil. Instead of going through the headache of replacing the head gasket just to find out there are other coolant problems, I picked up a wrecked 2000 XLT. The motor sound good and I picked it up for $250. With the engine swap and scrapping the rest, I basically paid close to nothing for it. The wrecked one has a key. Is there a way I can swap out the ignition and chip to recognize this new setup? I mean it's swapping out the same motor, but I'm sure there's a computer in the ignition system that I'd need to swap out also so it would recognize the same key. Any help would be appreciated. I'd hate to have to tow this thing to the nearest Ford Dealer and still have to pay $100+ for them to reprogram the old to the new. TIA.

There are 4 components involved:

The key, transceiver, PATS module and PCM -- I think the only one that's not "married" to the other 3 is the transceiver around the ignition switch.

Pull the bits out of the XLT and plug them into the XLS -- Swap out the ignition switch and door locks. Might be easiest to simply swap out the whole steering column than just the key switch.

PATS module is above the glove box, behind the air bag.

Check out http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234975

For 2000 you have to be careful that the donor vehicle and the recipient both have the same exhaust setup. The earlier 2000's had 4 oxygen sensors--2 pre catalyst (one left, one right) and 2 post catalyst (one left, one right). And the later 2000's had a system that had only 3 O2 sensors, one pre catalyst on each bank: (left and right), and one 'sensor #2 ' reading the common exhaust after both pipes converge. Most 2000's were 3 sensor systems and have the appropriate PCM matched to it. So, if you have a donor car that you want to swap a motor into your $320 car, and you want the PATS system to come along with it, you have to assess whether both exhaust systems match. If you have a 3 sensor motor going into a 3 sensor system, (or a 4 into a 4) you need to swap the: motor, PCM, PATS module (behind the passenger airbag), and ignition key/lock cylinder. That is the ideal setup. If you're going 3 sensor motor into 4 sensor system, or 4 into a 3, you need to swap in the motor (but keep all the old exhaust from the manifold on back), keep the original PCM and PATS, and bite the bullet and have a dealer make a key. I have a 4 sensor system PATS kit available if that would work for you if you are doing a 4 into a 4: 2 door lock cylinders, ignition lock cylinder, transponder key (1), its matching PATS module, and its matching PCM from a '99 Explorer. There's also a trick to get as many other keys to work so long as you have one transponder key. I use that setup myself, and I have 4 non transponder keys, and the one real transponder that is attached internally to the PATS system, so they all work.

Back