I'm considering an Aerostar.

XT

Reaction score
City, State
Central Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017,2015,2005 Explorers
Hello all :)

BrooklynBay, thanks again for the welcome in the new members forum :)

I wanted to come on here to ask you and the other guys/gals What year(s) what you recommend if I was to pick up a Aerostar? Any troublesome years or models? I was thinking about a 96 or 97 with the AWD. AWD came standard with a V6 right? I am reading up more on them as we speak. I have had a few friends who have had them and know enough about them to be dangerous but would love to hear from the experts. I am not afraid of the search feature and am using that now to find out some info as well.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

E-4WD was an option. Which V6 engine are you considering (3.0L or the 4.0L)? Do you want a manual or automatic transmission? The old models had a 4 cylinder, but you probably won't find any of those anymore. Do you want the regular lenght or the extended version? Take a look at the sticky threads in this section. They are loaded with information.

3.0 or 4.0 V6 would be fine. Would like to stick with an automatic. Checking the info as I post this.

I've been looking for a while now.

I know where to go to look :) my main question was asking if any year of model was more troublesome than the others.

I think i got most of the info I need searching through the site.

The 95 has the latest version of the A4LD transmission, so it will have all of the updates (unless the previous owner installed a rebuilt one in an older model). As for being troublesome, all of them are pretty similar in design with the exception of having minor differences. The later models are more updated in certain areas (ABS, SRS, different rear U joint connector, more electronics in the transmission, etc). Some minor things that were updated were the blower motor, heater core, R134a freon, drawer under the passenger's seat, folding rear bench seat, single serpentine belt with an automatic belt tensionser, stronger alternator, different starter, etc).

Thanks! I will contain my search to a 95 and up. I guess 97 was the last year? Im going to look for one with AWD.

Buying an Aeror

Welcome to the forum I am new also and have found this site priceless.
I have a 1993 Aero with now 221K on the clock and owned it since
it had 176K 3 yrs ago and only thing out side of regular maint. done to it
was steering rack. I replaced it to solve several problems all at once,
inner tie rod worn, leaking fluid at boot, and connectors at power
pump. Now the person that I bought it from had taken care of it,
and that is the main reason I got it. $800.00 and three yrs later
and it still goes. It does now and it did when I bought it, consumes
copious amounts of oil about a quart a week, along with about a
quart of coolant every 2 weeks. It does not over heat, has a little
quiver at idle but it always did. It doesnt owe me anything, so in
the near future due to that fact I will be looking for a used engine
or possibly a short block to drop in. Has any body done an engine
in head gasket replacement, how much fun is it? Thanks good hunting:D

My two bits worth

:usa: Hi XT & also welcome...:salute:

I am very opinionated and I would tell you 95 is what you want specifically, if you can find a clean one. If it's AWD it will be the Cologne 4.0L V6, IMHO among the best engines FoMoCo ever built. As Brooklyn Bay said you also get the later A4LD transmission, altho I dislike AWD after owning a few. But that's personal taste strictly.
My reason for 95's are a few. 1st it's the last of the OBD-I Systems. OBD-II came in the 1996 & later versions. I personally dislike OBD-II as it's a product of U.S. Govt Intervention and it is overly complex for an operating system. For example there double the sensors and more or less twice the problems.
OBD-I systems operate by call & response. IOW the system reads the sensor and makes a pre-programmed "adjustment" to make the vehicle operate best.
OBD-II have double the sensors so they go- ping + echo + call + response. If the ping & echo and call + response agree (more or less) system will make the adjustment. However. . . . If they do not concur system may generate what's called a pending code, meaning a DTC or digital trouble code is generated & stored in PCM's memory where it remanis for 47 starts or until there is an actual problem that requires a DTC, OR ( and this I dislike) if you get enough stored pending codes a spurious DTC is generated. Then you get a CEL or Check Engine Light on your instrument panel but it may or may not have an actual real cause for your warning light. False codes are a "PITA" or pain in the ass. Letting go of an ignition key too qiuckly can cause a CEL, or not waiting for Piezo Buzzer to ping out, or finish completely sounding before cranking engine over, with OBD-II can create pending codes. . . and on and on and on. . . . See why I dislike OBD-II so much ???????
True you can buy a scanner for a hundred bucks & erase pending codes or senseless CEL's in your 96 or 97 OBD-II Systemed Vehicle. But why should you have to? Also you have 2X the sensors to go bad, and 2x the codes to deal with too.
I run my 95 & I never get pending codes. OBD-I does not have or use them. I seldom get CEL's either, but if I do I know I have a problem I need to deal with and not simply a confused PCM or Op' System.
91-92-93 & 94 are OBD-1 Op Sys too, but 95 Engine is superior to the earlier version 4.OL V6. Heads on 95's are more like those on 96 & 7 which enhances performance and fuel economy. Unfortunately 95 & 96 engine are not exactly the same, since the 95 is designed & built to be run by the OBD-I Op Sys. It is not possible to swap heads from a 95 with a 96 or 97, nor can you swap a 95 engine into a 91-94 areo without changing the operating system also.
Are you following My reasoning here?
I have run a few Aerostars into the ground with 275K & 300K miles. I pulled a 16 foot flat bed trailer from Chesapeake VA to Central FL scaling 13,780 lbs with my 95 Aerostar with a load of Viet Nam Era PTF Boat parts. I pull that flat bed all over the south with my 95 Areostar. There is a pic of it in the gallery I think. It's a 2+2 with rear A/C, Tunes, 88 Grand Marquis Wheels and 225-75 X 15R LTX Michelins on it. It has 250K on the original 95 4.0L V6. I did R&R the A4LD A/T in it last year. It was "soft" when I bought the van used 5 years ago and the heavy hauling did it in.

So these are a few of my reasons for praising the 95 models as "The One" to own. Of course this is my opinion and based on my experiences, but it's also factual & true. FYI have personal problems with the transfer cases in the AWD set up. They are full time, they are not that durable & they cut fuel economy IMHO

I hope This helps you make an informed decision in your selection. I believe Aerostars are an excellent choice, especially if you can get one that will do whatever you want done.:thumbsup:

CIAO
FBp:salute:

I found my 97 to be too difficult to work on due to lack of access to the engine, and I would not get one again for that reason.

97 Aerostar looker

Greetings,
Granted the Astar is a little compact under the hood, it is not the PITA
that it appears to be. I just finished changing out head gaskets 2 weeks ago
and even had a cracked exhaust valve on the same bank as the gskt blowout
and had to replace it and cut the other exhaust valves in to seal things up
a little better. Long story short, not a bad job after all said and done, less
than 2 hundred in parts and supplies. If you are at least some what mechanically inclined and have at least a harry home owner amount of
tools you can do it in 2 days with parts in hand, I didnt and had to wait
on ex. valve keepers that were not included with the valve, crazy time
waster. By the way it saved me 650.00 in labor charges to do it at home.
Now every thing is fresh top end for the most part, but still have blowby
at the rings, so it still has that little engine quiver, but not as bad as
before, and with part of an ex. valve missing. My 93' w/ 3.0L has been
a real winner for:aerostar: the last 3 yrs. and with 222K on the clock, good hunting!

I agree with nightfly. IMHO a frontwheel drive with a cross ways engine and everything crammed into that engine bay is far worse.
If push comes to shove front K frames drop out of an Aerostar very quickly and then everything is exposed and accessible. It helps to have a Lift, but it is not necessary. I guess it's all a matter of personal take, opinion, tastes & abilities. But beyond workspace in the engine bay, Aerostars have so much more going for them in so many other realms, for my two cents workspace constriction seems inconsequential in comparison to all the benefits Aeros have to offer.
But Alas, this is simply my opinion and what do I know about anything????:rolleyes:
CIAO
FBp

Ok XT...I can understand that you see the Aerostar as a potentially good vehicle due to its utility and the availability of AWD, however as a former owner, I would like to try to turn you on to another van, the 1989-1998 Mazda MPV which I have now moved on to. If you are the type that blindly buys nothing but American cars, you can stop reading here. If however you are open to the idea of a Japanese vehicle..read on.

First off, like the Aerostar, the MPV is an honest to goodness RWD vehicle, with a standard NON TRANSVERSE engine mount. Unlike the Aerostar, the hood is sizeable, and thus the engine is VERY easy to work on. There is ample room in front and sides to access components.

Secondly, it is available and VERY easy to find (unlike the aerostar) with a real 4WD system. Van runs in 2WD full time Until you select 4wd, which can be done at up to 65 MPH. Also it features a real transfer case that NEVER has issues unless abused, with a Differential Lock feature, allowing the vehicle SERIOUS off road capability. The rear end is based off the Ford 8.8, a very strong unit as folks will tell you here. The van has a TON of ground clearance factory, unlike the aerostar, and features a beefy METAL ARMORED gas tank shield, Transfer case armor plate, and metal front skid plate factory! I have taken mine on serious off road trails and in deep snow and never had any issues keeping up with the jeeps.

Third, the van is excellently laid out. It has real hinged doors instead of rattling sliders, and has FOUR of them on the 96-98. It is available in either 7 pass or 8 pass with 2 full size bench seats. Rear seat removed and middle folded it has a TON of cargo space. Also as previously mentioned, it has a traditional full sized hood, allowing for easy access to the engine.

Mechanical: My aerostar was honestly one of the worst vehicles I ever owned, it had mileage in the low 100k but transmission, engine, and electronic issues plagues it until I sent it off to the junkyard.

My 1996 Mazda 4wd mpv: 245K MILES! Original engine-burns ZERO oil, leaks ZERO oil, Perfect compression, NO issues with head gaskets, has needed nothing but timing belt changes every 60k (mfg recommendation), oil changes, and valve cover gaskets. Transmission-ORIGINAL 245K! Never been rebuilt, nothing but fluid changes. Try that in a awd aerostar! Transfer case-destroyed by people that stole my car, replaced 65k ago never an issue before that or since then. 4 wheel abs disks standard, stops on a friggen dime (for a 5k lb van). Beefy suspention-5 link rear, front utilizes solid control arms and the biggest ball joints I have ever seen in a non truck/suv and a real front differential. Did I mention the van is the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned? I went through a period where I did little to no car work, and drove the van from 150k-219k NOTHING BUT AN OIL CHANGE EVERY 3K!!. It just...ran. Finally I cracked the hood at 220k, put in a timing belt, valve cover gaskets, new belts, water pump, and now she's ready for another 100k.

Finally, they are dirt cheap, the best ones are the 96-98 mpv with the 4 doors and better design, and you can easily get a 4wd, with all the options, and 120k for 2500 or less. 2WD can be found for as little as 1500. Can't think of a better deal than a car that for 1500-2500 you can get at least 300k out of with little more than regular maintenance.

Aerostar Forum

WOW. . . . . .! Why dont you tell us what you really think? Some folks are not capable of owning an Aerostar and obviously you are one of them. I will leave it at that. Everybody's entitled to their own opinion regardless of how wrong you may be, or how badly you distort reality, but after all this is an Aerostar Forum & who cares about off the wall vehicles such as mazdas. . . . I mean besides you?:roll:
Thanks for your opinion anyhow. . . . . . :rolleyes:
CIAO
FBp

The Aerostar is the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. I've had one since 1997. Only got stranded once by a loose fuel pump connection.
With a little care and feeding the Aerostar is a winner of a vehicle.

Thanks for the responses guys. I posted my original question about a year ago. But hey, better late than never!

FordBoyPete, I still haven't found one in good enough shape to get, but if I do, I think you sold me on a 1995! :salute:

Timoboy, When I was at Ford as a engineer, we used to work with Mazda all the time, When I was there full time, I think Ford owned 34 percent or so of Mazda. So yeah, a MPV could be an option. :D

Wanted to know if there is someone out there who can give me the skinny on used engine
options as far as years that will work and other ford donor cars, ex.taurus.
My 93' with 3.0 is getting pretty tired and needs new blood sooooon. Any thoughts
would be big help. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back