• Register Today It's free!

i'm hydro locked help

joemamaugly

Reaction score
City, State
buffalo,ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 xlt & 1970 sr-2
out with the wife (7 moths preg.) today going fishing and i went through a hole that she knew was too deep. lol so now the ex is dead, towed it home and just drained the oil. so what else do i need to do? as comprehensive a list of things i can get. i did a search and came up with some things but i want to make sure i get everything.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Gotta get it cranking first. Remove the spark plugs, pour some oil or WD40 or whatever down the cylinders, and try turning it over.

EDIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...........put some oil back in the block before doing that!!!!

oil change.... do as robb says... remove the plugs, and try to crank, if you dont remove the plugs, there is a chance the rods will bend... this happened to me, and is why explrcnvrtbl is dead now... a month later the engine blew while i was doing 80 on the freeway

You might even want to turn it by hand for the first try. I assume we can still do that.

I agree with Brian B -- put a socket on the balancer and spin it by hand. This should help push out the water without throwing fuel down into your cylinders as well and arching all over the place (unless you disable the coil packs). Anyway, yes main thing is to get all the water you can get pushed out. Replace the air filter. Replace the oil. After you spin it over a few times and replace the filter and oil, try and put the plugs back and see if it'll fire up. It may be a little "bogged" at first and run at a low idle, but it should kick back up after a few seconds. Good luck. I saw a lot of hydrolocked engines during the flood last year in downtown Richmond.

-Drew

Also throw away the stock intake. I hydrolocked mine a couple od months ago in a budgogg. We put a used motor in and it is almost road worthy.

Once you restart it get a mechanics stethicope and listen for the feared death knock. If you got it, make plans for a new motor.

ok all got the death knock! now what? replace with a 4.0 or go to the 5.0? any suggestions?

easiest would be the 4.0L -- best investment, would be the 5.0L. There's pros and cons all over this issue - and have been discussed before, but it's all preference and situation.

-Drew

ok which would be better 93 ex with a 4.0 or 93 tbird with a ho 5.0? both come complete in the car so i'm wondering if one would be better or worse. or will i need one out of a 95 - 97 in order to make it work?

You are trying to compare:

1) simply replace your stock 4.0 engine

2) replace engine with 5.0, replace tranny, replace t-case, build/buy engine harness, fab in motor mounts etc to fit the 5.0

It is really night and day.

The swap of a 4.0 for a 4.0 is really not that hard. Two mecahically inclined people with air tools and engine lift can do it in about 10-hours. I got a little carried away on mine, we replaced the oil pump, oil pan gasket, water pump, hoses thermostat, rear seal, clutch and valve cover gaskets.

Back