• Register Today It's free!

I'm in a bind, need help...

Freshmeat

Reaction score
City, State
Denham Springs, LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ranger STX SC
Mods, I know there is specifically a "Parts Wanted" section, but not everyone checks there and I put myself in a bind and need to get some parts immediately, so please be lenient and let me have this here for a few days in the hopes I can get lucky.

Today I was replacing the U-joints in my TTB D35 in preparation for a huge trail ride Sunday. In pressing one of the U-joints I managed to bend the ear of the shaft inward, ruining the shaft and in the "@(*&#% this" response I also broke the Spicer 5-760X joint.

I need the passenger shaft that goes into the pumpkin, as well as the female splined section at the slip joint. I'd like to try to get it by Friday so I can have this ready to go for Sunday's trail ride. I have a wedding to attend Saturday so a junk yard run wouldn't really fly with my wife.

Please PM me or e-mail me at wjacocks@gmail.com if anyone can help me out here. I'd love to hope I won't get screwed on the price, but being in a bind, I don't have much option, so please just let me know if you can help me out.

You're probably going to get better and faster results scouring the internet and for sale forum for people parting out their rides than expecting people to come to you.

There's a guy nearby (~100 miles?) parting out his 1st gen Eddie Bauer 4x4 on CL:

http://hattiesburg.craigslist.org/pts/1593568913.html

you might see if he will pull the part for you or has the vehicle in a state where you could just show up and pull it.

Could you describe what you did to damage the part so the rest of us don't do it?

Was this while trying to press the inside passenger side U-joint in/out with the shaft still in the pumpkin? I'm going to attempt that as well so I'd like to know what not to do.

Check car-part.com and look in your area. Last time I checked for axles they were ranging from < $50 to upwards of $130 for the long side (passenger).

~Mark

Anime- I've been scouring CL as well, just wanted to throw this up here in case someone had the parts laying around and could hook me up. Thanks for the heads up on the guy in Hattiesburg- I have a co-worker driving through there tomorrow; may be able to get in touch and make something happen.
I was pressing the joint into the shaft outside of the vehicle. I was using a 12-ton press and honestly just having a ***** of a day, so I didn't think to STOP when it started binding. The cap ended up biting the wall of the ear hard enough that it bent the ear inward just enough that I couldn't even get the joint out to find a new inner shaft and reuse the joint. It was entirely my error; I doubt it's something you'll face unless you can fit a 12-ton press under your truck AND be entirely negligent while swapping the joint.

Maniak- thanks for the thought; I use car-part.com all the time, but honestly hadn't thought about it for this. I'll surely check it out.

Back