i'm new.....can i do a reverse torsion twist? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

i'm new.....can i do a reverse torsion twist?

delussional77

Reaction score
City, State
avon, ct
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 explorer sport
Hey guys. I know this is a great forum for people who want to lift their explorer, but i have a question that will involve (slightly) lowering mine. I have a seriously huge stereo in the back of my car this has caused the back end to drop at least an inch. Now my front sticks up higher then my rear and i had read alot about the torsion twist. I know it can lift the explorer up to 2" but what about lowering? I only need to lower it about an inch to help even up the appearance. I'm just checking to see if a reverse torsion twist is possible and any information i would need to do it. Thanks guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yea you should be fine doin that, welcome to the board

Yeah it is. Turn the torsion adjuster bolts the opposite way you would to lift and wahlah! Reverse lift.

hey you guys, this info was great. I was able to lower it about an inch. I would have gone more but one of the torsion bolts was sticking pretty far out of the housing that it is usually contained in. I am concerned that now that it's even lower that if i run over a large rock it will just sheer that bolt right out. Since i lowered as opposed to raised i doubt many of you guys have had this problem. Any solutions? If i wanted to drop the rest of the front down the extra few inches to get the wheel well just over the wheel would I need to do? I know the torsion twist will only get me as far as i have gone now, so i can really put like a serious 2" drop in the front?

you can... do a search for flipping the adjusters and or replacing the bolts or removing the adjusters....

personally, i think the ride suffers with lowering... if your stereo is that heavy, i woul have just added lift shackles or an add a leaf to the rear

thanks for the fast reply. I know this goes against what this forum is all about, but i kinda like the lowered look. I would have leveled out the back by raising it but that would have required a bit more mechanical surgery then just twisting two bolts, so i went with what is easiest. I am just a college kind with limited funds so free = better!

Oh by the way, here's a picture of my exporer and the sound system so you can see why it's got so much weight on it.

http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/276311

thanks again for the fast replies. I'll start looking into this soon.

there is a lowered part of this forum... and it isnt against forum rules to lower it.....

if you wanted it lower thats fine, i was jsut saying that i would have raised the rear back up to compensate for the weight instead of trying to band aid the problem... i have driven a severly lowered torsion bar equipped truck and hte ride sucked big time....

There are hundreds of members here who have lowered their trucks, welcome.

Most likely the two bolts will not be equally in or out. You can remove them completely, they are not a structural part of the system. I bought shorter allen headed bolts for mine. I also had to flip one of my adjusting levers over, to get an equal drop on that side.

If you have 4WD, then you are limited to much less adjustment. The front axles need to be close to level. As you move them away from horizontal, excessive wear will happen, plus a vibration, which is the CV joints. You must get an alignment after any front change, so get the stance to where you want it, and go for an alignment now. Good luck,

Also make sure that you have installed camber adjusters if they'er not already installed.

Yes, good catch Todd. The additional camber adjustment plates help to get a proper alignment, with a significant height change. They are available at many parts stores. Regards,

jimabena74 said:
there is a lowered part of this forum...

haha, where? I just tried to locate it and maybe i'm missing something, but i can't find it. Thanks again you guys for all of the replies.

Back