Alternative to a Torsion Twist? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Alternative to a Torsion Twist?

gijoecam said:
Many people think that the suspension is stiffer when you crank the torsion bars. That is absolutely false. The ride feels different due to the suspension geometry, but the spring stiffness is unchanged. The torsion bars have more preload on them, but the stiffness of the torsion bar has not changed.

the spring rate has changed. Because the spring rate after a torsion twist is higher.
I know the suspension is stiffer when I did my torsion twist.. I could definately feel the difference. There is more downward force applied to the LCAs when the torsion bars are twisted; which means it will take more force to get the suspension to cycle upward (meaning the spring rate is, in fact, higher). We all know that with a coil with a higher springrate, takes more force to get the suspension to cycle upward.
This is all in my opinion and the way I'm pretty sure it works.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

gavin said:
the spring rate has changed. Because the spring rate after a torsion twist is higher.
I know the suspension is stiffer when I did my torsion twist.. I could definately feel the difference. There is more downward force applied to the LCAs when the torsion bars are twisted; which means it will take more force to get the suspension to cycle upward (meaning the spring rate is, in fact, higher). We all know that with a coil with a higher springrate, takes more force to get the suspension to cycle upward.
This is all in my opinion and the way I'm pretty sure it works.

Spring rate is not the same as spring preload. The spring rate is the amount of force the spring exerts per unit of displacement. In the case of a torsion bar, it's the amount of torque per degree. In other words, the more you twist the bar, the more torque it applies.

Now, contrary to what you may believe, cranking the torsion bars does not change the spring rate of the torsion bar. It does not take any more force to get the front end to move. It DOES take more force to get the suspension to move all the way to the bump-stops, but that's because you have to displace a greater angle to get there, not because the torsion bar spring rate has changed.

A higher spring rate with the same pre-load will raise the suspension, yes. However, you're adjusting the preload, not the spring rate. The spring rate of a torsion bar a function of the material and the diameter, neither of which change when you adjust the preload.

-Joe

is there a small lift kit
like 2-3 inches for 97 awd xplorer
i dont wanna really do a tt dont want to make it a harsh ride!
if so were can i get one
thanks

gluvsave35 said:
is there a small lift kit
like 2-3 inches for 97 awd xplorer
i dont wanna really do a tt dont want to make it a harsh ride!
if so were can i get one
thanks
The search function works wonders. But yes you can get a small 2 or 3 inch body lift or a TT AAL and shackles or superlifts lift which is money and like 5 inches I think but dont quote me on that one

The reason the ride becomes stiffer is because of the angle of the control arms. When they are perfectly flat and level, 100% of the load from bumps and dips are applied to the suspension components. When cranked, maybe 75% of that load is handled by the suspension and the other 25% is transmitted to the frame. Its like a wrench. Its easier to turn when you are applying the load perpendicular to the wrench, not while at a 60 degree angle.

Dan

Bingo Dan, the nail hit on the head. That is the simple explanation of what I said. As the suspension gets away from stock heights, the ride gets worse. The suspension just does not have much travel built into it. The control arms are rather short, so altering the ride height greatly affects the amount of force which goes into the frame/body. Regards,

so the actual pivots absorb more of the blow than before because the arms are angled that way. and the pivots dont flex.

Back