I'm New & Is Anyone running a Gutted Cat or a Test Pipe? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I'm New & Is Anyone running a Gutted Cat or a Test Pipe?

TriumphGT6

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Rapids, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT 4x4
I don't actually own an Explorer, but my 16yo sister does. I got it for her for $500(She paid). It is a 1993 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 w/ Leather Interior and 104,000 miles.

Now the question is, has anyone replaced the Catalytic Converter with a High Flow one or a Test Pipe?

My Lincoln runs with gutted cats and gets about 22mpg overall with almost all city driving, and me having self control on the throttle. My Vette gets about 16 in the city and about 28 on the highway. Her Explorer w/ a 4.0 V6 is getting 14 city and 18 highway.

I am replacing the plugs this weekend, the wires, the fuel filter, changing the oil, and depending on my mood, clean the o2 sensor/s and the egr valve. Any recommendations on Cats or other mods that can help her save some gas?

Thanks,
GT6

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its a heavy truck. You have to realize that. Aerodynamics are not on its side.

If there's nothing wrong with the cat, don't touch it. You're only hurting the enviroment. And the air I breathe!

catalytic converter removal or mods are illegal and not supported on this forum.

Gutting a cat will lose you power, unless said cat was clogged.

Do a search on this forum and you will find your options......
the primary CATS are required by law, the secondary cats may not be, depending on where you live.

i have replaced my cats with high flow ones from carsound when i did my exhaust. i got them at truckperformance.com and are legal in all 50 states

im runnin a 40 series flowmaster with no cats

mitch said:
i have replaced my cats with high flow ones from carsound when i did my exhaust. i got them at truckperformance.com and are legal in all 50 states

I dont know how this is possible since I believe that it is a federal offense to tamper with a catalytic converter. IIRC any shop that finds a missing or non-functional cat, must replace them with OEM parts(or parts that meet OEM standards) by law.

BShow said:
I dont know how this is possible since I believe that it is a federal offense to tamper with a catalytic converter. IIRC any shop that finds a missing or non-functional cat, must replace them with OEM parts(or parts that meet OEM standards) by law.

yes you are right but vehicles older than are certain year, i believe 10 or 12 years can replace them.

Anyone use the cheapo $100 dynomax cat back system from Summit Racing? It's the right price, and hers does have a leak.

Thanks,
GT6

I gutted my cats on my 94, seems to run fine like that. Not sure about the gas mileage though. I only drive it monthly.

Back