Immobiliser Problem. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Immobiliser Problem.

vetazac

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 explorer
Hello All.
My misses went to our 97 explorer and unlocked it using the one button remote control. Having got what she wanted she tried to lock the car but it wouldn't lock. Now we cant lock or unlock the doors or disable the immobiliser. Changed the battery in the remote and this made no difference. The RAC came and tested the signal from the remote which was working ok but won't perform it's magic. I desperately need to have the car running for saturday as I am supposed to be moving a large boat to Windermere, (the reason I bought the car in the first place) Do any of you guys have any ideas as to what the problem is, or is there any way I can disable the immobiliser? I have tried operating the remote by the back nearside quarterpanel as this is were the box of tricks is located to no avail. Please help!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

have a search for programing key fobs maybe this will help,richard

oops wrong thread

Hi,

If you switch the ignition on does the immobiliser light flash out a fault code? i.e. a different pattern to the regular 'armed' on/off?

SS

No it just flashes normally. Anyway an update. Today I set to with a Haynes manual and linked out the Anti theft device on the Starter circuit then put a supply from the ignition to the PCM relay to power up the Powertrain Control Module (ECU) and I now have a running Explorer again, central locking doesn't work and I have to go in through passenger door as drivers door lock doesn't work but at least I can move boat on saturday. I will investigate further when I have more time. Thanks for your advice chaps...
Steve......

have you tried the module in the back passenger quarter? that's where the receiver is for the remote fob..

Si

That will be my next port of call but I don't want to mess it up now I've got it running at least until I have moved my boat. The boat is 27' long so I need the towing capacity of the explorer to move it, my Maverick just isn't up to the job...

Hi Vetazac, am having same problem, it would be a real help if you could explain how you did it in more detail. I am about to scrap mine if I can get this sorted.
Thanks

Busy tonight but I will get my Haynes manual out of the car tomorrow and look at the wire colours. One wire goes into the wireing loom behind the drivers side kick panel and another goes to the fuse box. Let you know properly tomorrow.

Thanks, any help would be much appreciated
John

Right then here we go.
Behind the drivers side kick panel you will find a large rectangle multipin plug and socket in the main wiring loom. Going through this plug is a light green wire with a purple stripe. (its near the back of the plug and a bit awkward) This wire wants to be connected to an earth point. This puts an earth on the Anti theft relay which it normally gets from the immobiliser. The car should now turn over but won't start. Then remove the fuse box from the side of the dash by the drivers door to access the rear of the panel, test the wiring connections until you find one which is dead when ignition is off but comes live when on and in the crank position. ( I think I used fuse number 19 but may be wrong) Run a wire from this connection through the engine bay to the power distribution box. This wire supplies the PCM relay which in my car is relay number 5. Push the wire into the female connection for terminal 85 on this relay then plug the relay back in. Now when you turn on the ignition the relay should click in and put power to the engine management system. Crank the car and it should (crossed fingers) start. The immobiliser light will still flash on the dash and when your indicating you could hold your own disco but at least the car will run and you can always remove the bulb for the immobiliser. On my car the drivers door lock had siezed through lack of use but the passenger door was ok. It is possible to swop the locks over if this is the case. Hope this helps. (should all else fail I've moved the boat and mines now on Ebay) This took me about an hour to do but I had to sit down and work out the wiring. If you have a haynes manual look at page 12-35 and 12-34. Best of luck.... Steve.

If you have any problems an Auto electrician should be able to do this in about an hour. Steve.......

Thanks Steve, I will give it a go & let you know. John

If either of you want rid of your single button remote let me know - thanks

Hi Steve, Nobody's put a mobile phone mast up near you recently have they?!? It's a common prob that Rovers also suffer, if your too close to a mast the signal from the hand zapper gets interfered with and doesn't activate the receiver attached to the Ex itself (which is in the rear nearside boot compartment) By holding it next to the rear nearside panel, above the centre of the arch and zapping it then - if it works then it's signal interference or a low battery shortening the zapper range, if it doesn't, then playing with the wiring it is! Good Luck!

Back