Important: check this before using Coil Spring Spacers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Important: check this before using Coil Spring Spacers

tomblin1

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT 4 door 4X2
Check this before you waste time and effort as I did last night.

I am using F150 coils spring spacers on the front of my 1993 4x2. The instructions I got off of the Ranger Station website had one important piece of info that was not correct for me. It stated that after installing the spacer, the existing bolt is long enough for the nut to be securely put back on. Mine was not! I have to replace the bolt that runs thru the I-Beam with a longer one so the spacer can be put on and the nut securely attached.

Look at the bolt on the bottom of your coil spring. If you dont have 1.5 inches showing, your bolt will be too short and addition work will be needed.

Hope this saves someone a little wasted effort

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Let me guess, Your truck is a 2 wheel drive?

Dont foget you will need an alignment and camber shims now.......

Originally posted by tomblin1
I am using F150 coils spring spacers on the front of my 1993 4x2.

I'll answer it for him. ;) Its ok, i had a rough nite last nite trying to spell dual and exhaust(still need someone to correct that):rolleyes:

Today I bought Skyjacker coils that will give me the 1.5 to 2" lift without the spacers. ($140.00 for the pair) Easier and better. I haven't decided whether to return the F150 spacers or keep them for when I want another 1.5 inch.

You can't really have too much can you? Ha Ha!

if i have a first gen 4x4 do i still need to have 1.5" of bolt showing at the bottom of the coil to use the spacers?

I'm wandering why you didn't run to the nearest auto shop and buy longer bolts for a couple bucks? And you can not use the lift springs with the spacers unless you have drop brackets for the I beams. So you should sell the spacers.

94navaho

Yeah, this is a project in motion and I am already considering an AAL in the rear besides the WAR 153 shackles so I can't seem to stop.

Plus the new coils are a nice pretty red color anyway.....

I know new bolts were only a few bucks. I don't think I'm done going vertical, so who knows, thanks for the imput.

jimabena74
I think there must be a differnce between 4x2 and 4x4
I'm no expert. I only know my 4x2 did not work. 94navaho has it right, if your bolts are too short, you wil only need to replace the bolts going thru the Ibeam/Trailing Arm to make then fit. If you already have larger coils 94navaho says you will need drop brackets for the I beams. Too complicated for me at this time..............

Thats cool, I have a set of 4 inch skyjacker springs (purdy red too) and lowering I beam brackets originally for a 4x2 Ranger. However, I now have this 4x4 Navajo and the Ranger is now destined to go down. I hate buying stuff and never using it. I need to ask if there is a possibility the springs alone would raise my Navajo about 2 inches, or maybe I will just throw them on one day and measure. Good luck with your x.

JUST MAKE SURE THE BOLTS ARE OF THE PROPER GRADE.

JUST MAKE SURE THE BOLTS ARE OF THE PROPER GRADE

I couldn't agree more. Dropping a corner is a quick way to kill am Ex. WORD!!:smoke:

4x4 bolts are long enough and the 2x4 bolts have to be replaced when doing the spacer swap. The info is on the site in one of the billion spacer threads. :D

Sorry it didnt work out for you aTomblin

Yesterday I had a little brainstorm at the hardware store. I was thinking, why could'nt you just use some giant washers under the spring to get the desired height? I found some washers that were 1/8" thick and 2" in diameter. Once I got the spring off, I found that the spring was to big on the bottom and that the washers would easily fit through the bottom of the spring. After that I picked up the spring seat(The metal part) and under that, was another bolt that the spring seat is molded around. The washers are just big enough to support the seat. I did this mod last night and drove around hitting bumps and stuff to see how solid it would be. There are not a lot of places to go 4 wheeling around here because everything is private so I have'nt been offroad yet. Also this could be dangerous, I don't know. With (3) 1/8" washers + the hieght of the bolt onder the spring seat = 1 inch of lift. The reason why I did this is because the idiots that did my lift put the softest shocks known to man on the front and my springs seemed to have sagged. I would think worst case, I hope, is that the spring seat will bend and I will have to replace it. If this does work, then it would be an easy way(Cheap) to get another inch to an inch and a half in the front for about 2 bucks. I will try it and see how it goes. Last night it felt solid. If this seems to dangerous, then please let me know, I don't want anybody hurt. I will gladly be the test platform. please let me know what you guys think.

ghetto fabtacular:p

I'm using the skyjacker 2" with the stock drop bracets, but I still do need to work on my alignment

I just bought the 1.5 to 2 inch springs for my 91.How is the alignment after?anyone know from experence?

Back