• Register Today It's free!

Improve 4x4 Ride? How?

jasnas

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport 4x4
I have a 98 Sport 4x4. I feel like I'm in the rodeo riding a bull because it rides so terrible. I would like to lift it about 1" and improve the ride? Any suggestions? Also, know of anyone in the Dallas/Ft. Worth metro area that can do this for me?

Thanks,
Jason

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do the Torsion Twist and warrior shackles. 99% of people agree that it improves the ride. Plus you can do it yourself in your driveway for $50-60.

Actually, the torsion twist and shackles probably won't affect the ride quality, it will just lift it. The thing that affects the ride is the shocks. I also have a 98 sport that rode just like you said, like you're "in the rodeo riding a bull." You probably still have the stock shocks, which are gas-pressurized. I put on the Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks, and it improved the ride 100%. Do a search on shocks, and you should find plenty of info on the different brands, and peoples opinions on them. From what I have read in this forum, Rancho, Bilstein, Monroe, and Edelbrock seem to be the most popular/preferred. As for the lift, it is very easy. If you look on the message board, there is a column called LIST OF USEFUL THREADS. In there, you will find posts on how to do the Torsion twist and install the Warrior shackles.

What do you mean exactly by "rides terrible", be more specfic.

The Torsion twist most definitely affects ride, because it loads the torsion bars. True, shocks will do the most work for you, it just depends if you want to spend the money.
Plus keep in mind you bought a 4 wheel drive SUV, my wife won't drive my truck because she wants it to ride like her Taurus, which it won't.

Back