• Register Today It's free!

Improving Brake Quality

Mat R

Reaction score
City, State
Woodinville(and all of western)
Year, Model & Trim Level
'85
Well, after reading the installation required for the rear disc brake conversion for the 91-94s I have decided against it. I just don't feel comfotable opening my diff up.

Anyway, I still want to improve my brakes, I'm running 33s, and eventually I'll be running 35s and any little bit would help.

I would like to improve my brakes in any way possible, and I'm curious what kind of options I have. Has anyone had a good experience with cross drilled rotors, or slotted rotors? Can anyone recommend a really good brake pad, and shoe? Is there anything alse I can do?

Thanks for any help!
Mat

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

slotted rotors

Hey Matt, I don't know much about brakes, but I know there is a discussion about the slotted rotors in this thread www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=19046

Also, I remember somewhere in a thread someone discussed cleaning the rotors and pads improved their braking quality and even got their ABS to work again. Good luck man!

Generally speaking, cross-drilled/slotted rotors run cooler and therefore reduce braking distance, especially under exterme use. The downfall to the cross-drilled rotors is that they are prone to cracking if the holes are not drilled properly (speaking from experience also). I have not heard anything about the slotted and many people on this site appear to be happy with their performance. You can also purchase the slotted rotors after they have been cryogenically frozen. This process strenghtens the bond of the metal and thereby further increasing performance and durability of the rotor.

Carbon metallic brake pads are also known to improve braking distances; however, I have heard that they wear the rotor down a bit quicker - don't know if that's true though.

Finally, I just order a set of stainless steel brake hoses for my truck. They don't get all mushy like the rubber hoses. And a change of the brake fluid could help also.

Here's an install article on installing new front rotors.. (slotted/cryo treated)...

I don't think you will have any problem replacing them

As Mike mentioned... also get some steel braided lines.. they do help.

Dead Link Removed

Thanks for the help guys, I've decided that I'm going to go with slotted rotors and heavy duty pads. I'm not sure what brand yet, but everything I've heard sounds good.

Mat

Back