• Register Today It's free!

In need of help after accident

Pitt1717

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 XSport
So last month i was in an accident. rear ended (idiot swept my right side rear bumper). If you look at visible damage, its literally just some scuffing. however, it totally screwed up my electrical system some how.
  • From the driver side controls,
  1. i can't lower or raise my passenger window. but from the passenger side it works
  2. i can't adjust the passenger mirror. it also no longer folds
  3. Driver side window/mirror works as expected
  4. both back windows work
  • tailgate sensor no longer works
  • obviously lane/parking sensors don't work. i would expect that as the right most sensor was hit
  • tpms no longer works for all four corners
  • but the craziest thing is my heat and cooling no longer work. hard buttons don't work and climate screen is blacked out where the temp numbers would be

i tried resetting everything (mainly for climate issue) by disconnecting the battery. and now my keyfob won't lock/unlock the doors. but will start the car without issue. Also the door keypad unlocks fine and if i walk up and pull the handle t will unlock.

I am writing this thread to see if any of you experts have seen something like this as when i went to get an estimate, the guy is talking to me like the insurance company won't believe this was due to the accident. and i should go to a mechanic to get it fixed and see if they think it could be due to the accident. but again he sounded like he was implying that the accident couldn't have been the cause.

2017 Explorer sport ~72000 miles, babied and even after warranty still go to ford for oil changes. Aside from recalls, the only thing i ever had repaired was a battery and pcv valve. Car was perfect before this. So upset as this truck has become one of my favorite vehicles

appreciate any help or guidance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any pictures of the damage?
Has the bumper been pulled to inspect for damage?
I guess it's possible a cut wire is causing issues.

I would agree it's a stretch to believe a right rear 'fender bender' caused all those issues, but I won't 100% rule it out yet.

Bumper hasn’t been pulled yet. Will be going to the body shop on Monday to be fixed.
But everything worked until that moment.
As I sat in the middle lane I noticed my air stopped working. Then I went to roll the window down and nothing.
I’ll post a pic in a bit. I thought I had them on the phone. But looks like they just uploaded to ins. App and didn’t save locally. Glad you asked as I didn’t realize this

When you mentioned "tailgate sensor" are you referring to the foot-activated feature no longer working? Will the liftgate open from the fob and the inside control button? It's possible the liftgate module was damaged in the collision.
As for the other issues, I have no answer. Have you checked fuses and have you checked for possible trouble codes that may have been set?

Peter

Yes the foot activated feature. From inside I can open it. Keyfob no longer works to luck unlock since a batter disconnect. But I think prior it was working with the fob
Haven’t checked fuses as the ones I need to look at I believe are under the steering wheel and I probably wouldn’t do a thorough enough job to check with my schedule
Ton of codes came out. Multiple loss of communication. I can scan it in tonight if your interested

Attached photo

IMG_2395.jpeg

That doesn't look like much, but as mentioned, if it messed up a wire or sensor, it could cause other issues.
Post up your codes, maybe that will help figure out what has failed.

Code report

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

Yup, that's a lot of codes. Don't clear them.

What's interesting is that the HVAC code is under the Parking Aid Module as well as the Front Control interface.....

I wonder why it would be under the PAM and maybe thats a sign that the rear damage is tied to HVAC issue.

I wonder if you can get the details of when each code was set. If they happened after the accident, you'd have a case to say the accident caused the issues.

One thing I found out with Forscan is that it can tell you exactly when the code was set. Mileage, time, day.....etc, at least that's what I got when I got the dredded P0016 code on mine. I even got details like vehicle speed, rpm, engine temp, ignition timing...about 50 lines of details.

Yup, that's a lot of codes. Don't clear them.

What's interesting is that the HVAC code is under the Parking Aid Module as well as the Front Control interface.....

I wonder why it would be under the PAM and maybe thats a sign that the rear damage is tied to HVAC issue.

I wonder if you can get the details of when each code was set. If they happened after the accident, you'd have a case to say the accident caused the issues.

One thing I found out with Forscan is that it can tell you exactly when the code was set. Mileage, time, day.....etc, at least that's what I got when I got the dredded P0016 code on mine. I even got details like vehicle speed, rpm, engine temp, ignition timing...about 50 lines of details.
Hmmm. Do you think disconnecting the battery cleared it?

Yes.

just got a call from the shop. a wire in the harness behind the bumper got pinched. they respliced it. took a quick ride down and everything is working again. no just some body work and back in business. So happy they found something because like all of you, i was at a loss of how the ac stopped working.
these damn newer cars...... everything has been so inter-twined with all of this computer stuff.
anyway, just wanted to share

just got a call from the shop. a wire in the harness behind the bumper got pinched. they respliced it. took a quick ride down and everything is working again. no just some body work and back in business. So happy they found something because like all of you, i was at a loss of how the ac stopped working.
these damn newer cars...... everything has been so inter-twined with all of this computer stuff.
anyway, just wanted to share

Good to hear and yeah, it's crazy what seems like completely unrelated issue can cause a mess of other issues.

"

"
Could have been a communications network from the pinched wiring routing to sub rear hvac control module (?)

PAM_Code_Set.jpg

Too bad I missed this thread, that wire behind the bumper is literally the first thing I would have looked for.

Wiring diagrams are helpful but hard to get. Looking with your own two eyes is free and can tell you whether there's a broken or damaged wire in a given location. More sensors in more places means more wires in more places. As to how they decide which circuits to interconnect... don't even ask!

Back