• Register Today It's free!

increased performance

beenwrong2002

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas,TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
96' Ford Explorer XLT 4x4
Ok im sure by now pretty much everyone is getting tired of all my questions and this is one i already asked so dont flame me. Besides the K&N air filter, ford performance modual, better gears, and an exaust system...What other types of stuff can i do to my 96 X 4x4 4.0 V6, pushing 33'' tires so i need some more get up n go...:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

throttle cable mod, GEARS(that the only real solution). Expensive yes but in the long run it saves excess strain on your already week tranny.

throttle cable mod, GEARS(that the only real solution). Expensive yes but in the long run it saves excess strain on your already week tranny.

what does the throttle cable mod consist of and what does it do exacly

more go eh? well how about smaller tires ? ;)
smaller tire diameter = more applied torque = harder launches.

But seriously, this presents somewhat of a paradox .. larger tires typically mean less torque which means slower vehicle. In addition, larger tires means more weight to carry around AND more angular mass (aka "moment of inertia") to rotate at the launch. So all in all, larger tires are not meant for "more go" unless your vehicle has tremendous torque (like a top fuel dragster) -- of which the Explorer's 4.0L does not have enough of

more go eh? well how about smaller tires ? ;)
smaller tire diameter = more applied torque = harder launches.

But seriously, this presents somewhat of a paradox .. larger tires typically mean less torque which means slower vehicle. In addition, larger tires means more weight to carry around AND more angular mass (aka "moment of inertia") to rotate at the launch. So all in all, larger tires are not meant for "more go" unless your vehicle has tremendous torque (like a top fuel dragster) -- of which the Explorer's 4.0L does not have enough of

well i know bigger tires effect the vehicle in that way...i just need to knowwhat i can do for more power and performance...i know theres stuff u can do...

the throttle cable mod is taking the slcak that generates in the throttle cable over time, take a look at the butterfly valve to see if it is opening all the way if it isnt then put a couple zip ties on the cable so that it tigtens it.

o ok...any other ideas anybody?

cmon a little help here please...i know some answers are out there...;)

bump

underdrive pulley,cold air,sct tune,cat back exhaust. email me I carry all these and can answer any questions you have. I am an approved vendor on this site. If you have a straight shift tranny then check out my SPEC clutch.......hensonperformance@bham.rr.com

302's dont have much more power than an SOHC. They are a big gas waster than the SOHC. Put in an SOHC. Yea you cant blow it as easy, but its SO much quicker. I have both, i know.

in the 96' 4.0 4x4's were they SOHC or just OHC ? anybody?

Back