• Register Today It's free!

Increased Performance

jmstout1

Reaction score
City, State
Middleburg, VA.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
I have a 2000 Explorer XLS 4.0 EFI OHV and would like to increase performance. What is the best way to start? What is the best chip to install and should I install a chip after other basic upgrades of the motor?

Any advice would help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Go here for the chip.... http://www.apten-us.com/

Yes do the chip install after everything else, you will need the chip programmed for the other mods.

Any cheap mods to the intake on that engine worth trying?

kcar711 said:
Any cheap mods to the intake on that engine worth trying?

Try searching for "Swiss Cheese Airbox". Basically you just cut holes in the airbox which gives you better airflow for free. You'll find a better explanation if you search.

just cut off the bottom f the air box. no holes just cut the entire bottom off. and you can do MAS and throttle body and exhaust and that will help alot. you may get about 20 - 30 Hp out of that depending on you engine. and also you can do ignition wires and spark plugs. to help spark all that extra air. then do the chip after all that.

jmstout1 said:
Dear Al,

Are you satisfied with the MAF. Does it add significant perfromance?

Jon Stout

It hard to tell if any one item positively affects performance,,, it more of a synergistic effect.

With that said, yes, it improved throttle response as well as mileage, my major reason for acquiring it.

Back