Indiglo gauges install, or HOW TO REMOVE CLUSTER!! ( warning 22 pictures ) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Indiglo gauges install, or HOW TO REMOVE CLUSTER!! ( warning 22 pictures )

bigtigexplorer

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Sierra Vista, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT 4x4
This write up is for the installation of Indiglo gauges purchased from Dead Link Removed into a 1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4.

Disclaimer: Follow these instructions at your own risk. I will not assume any reasonability for personal injury or vehicle damage cause as a result of these instructions.

Sorry guys just had to cover my butt. =)

001.jpg

Remove 2 screws from the under radio trim using a 7mm socket.

002.jpg

Remove 3 screws from above the gauges using a 7mm socket.

003.jpg

Remove 4 screws from under the dash using a 7mm socket. Gently pull on the top of the plastic to remove it.

004.jpg

Remove the top 2 screws using a 8mm socket.

005.jpg

Gently pull the steel plate down and remove the 2 exposed screws using a 7mm socket.

006.jpg

Gently pull the radio trim out and unplug the four-wheel drive ( if equipped ), also disconnect the lighter connections.

007.jpg

Pull the right side of dash panel out slightly. This may be easier if you shift into 1st gear.

010.jpg

Directly behind the right side of the dash panel there is a plug to disconnect.

008.jpg

Gently pull the left side of the panel out.

009.jpg

Disconnect the 2 plugs from the panel before removing it completely.

011.jpg

012.jpg

Using a 7mm socket remove the 4 screws, 2 on each side of the instrument cluster.

013.jpg

Gently pull the instrument cluster forward and tip the top back to expose the gear indicator. Push the two tabs (circled in blue) toward each other and GENTLY slide the indicator out of the cluster.

014.jpg

Pull the cluster forward and disconnect the 3 plug on the back and remove the cluster.

015.jpg

Put the cluster on your work bench and go grab a beer, the real fun is about to begin. Remove the 7 screws holding the bezel with a 5.5mm socket, you could also use a small torx screw driver or an allen wrench.

016.jpg

Gently pry the needle keeper out. Slide the indiglo gauge over the needles and replace the needle keeper.

017.jpg

Repeat this process for the other 2 gauges.

018.jpg

Once all the gauges are installed put the cluster back in the dash. Don't screw it in yet, just connect the 3 plugs and reconnect the light and dimmer switch from the dash panel, but don't reinstall the panel yet. Turn on your flashers and adjust the indiglo gauges until the indicators line up. Once all the indicators are lined up secure the gauges in place with scotch tape and remove the cluster again.

019.jpg

Reattach the bezel. Don't tighten the top 3 screws to much you could damage the indiglo gauge.

020.jpg

Install the cluster back into the dash and route the wires to one side. This is a good point to connect the power converted supplied with the gauges. I didn't take pictures of it because it is a simple 2 wire connection. The black wire goes to a ground and the red wire is spliced into the white with black stripe wire coming from the light switch. Then plug the gauges into the converter and turn on the parking lights. At this point your gauges should come on.

021.jpg

And you done!! Well, you still have to put you dash back together.

022.jpg

Here is a shot of mine at night. You can see how big of a difference these gauges make when compared to stock. Enjoy you new gauges, I hope this write up proved to be useful.

David

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thats one hell of an informative post! and detailed too! thanks a lot, ive been thinking about installing those gauges.

looks great too!

oh, and, are they sending a replacement for the gas gauge for free?...just out of curiousity.

Dave, That was the best I've seen. I think even I could do it now.
Question...Do the guage lights dim like the regular lights do? Do you use the same dimmer roller switch?
Thanks for the write-up and pics.

Add to the questions...

What about coloring the indicator needles?

Thanks....

Thanks guys, I didn't expect this kind of respones. Maybe we can get one of the moderaters to mark this thread as "Important" so it doesn't get lost.

Bill - The converter that comes with the kit is on the left, I modified it to the pic on the right. The knob controls the brightness and the switch controls the blue or green color.

Tbomb - Yeah their going to send a warrenty replacment as soon as I send the bad one back.

Aldive - I know its possible, I just not sure how.

dave, if you get a chance, can you get up a pic of the gauges in blue and a pic of them in green?...(or just one of pic whatever isnt already shown?)

thanks,
jason

The pick that I have of is the blue, I'll have to wait until tonight to get a decent pic of the green, but I'll get one.

Great job David. Very informative write up. I tried to do a dash panel removal write up but I didn't have any pictures to go with it. You did a nice job.

And by the way, the guages look great!

Tbomb - Here are the pics, the digital camera didn't do a good job picking up the difference in colors, but there is a slight difference. Blue on the left, Green on the right.
Dead Link RemovedDead Link Removed

Aldive - I did a little research and found a way to color the needles. Believe it or not a Sharpie permanent marker works great. I used red, but I sure other colors would work just as well.
Dead Link RemovedDead Link Removed

ChuckyD - To my knowledge no, but I could be wrong.

ehhhh it figures, more performance parts for the earlier models and more style parts for the newer models.

wow bigtex, (oops) I have been wondering how I could paint my needles. Great idea.. a sharpie, I would of never thought of that. :)

Big Tig,
That's a great write up. I think it does deserve to be up on the top of the posts.

Thanks Ray =)

As an update, I called IndigloGauges and they said they will be sending the replacement for the defective gauge out today. I'll be sure to post a pic of all the gauges when I get the replacment.

Dead Link Removed

Well the replacment came in, What do you think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The guages look great!! But the green gear selector would bother me. My gear selector lights up blue. Maybe you could swipe one from a 95-96 truck to try and get a little closer color to the indiglo guages. Just my opinion.

Back