Inlet manifold gasket replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Inlet manifold gasket replacement

kellen

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer
Hi All

Just a response to JAYFEZ's request in a previous thread (blower resistor) re the replacement of inlet manifold gaskets. MIKEH's previous post is very detailed.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61152&highlight=98+sohc+mikeh

The details of installation are on page two. I wasn't able to just copy a link to the individual post rather than the whole thread
.....technical incompetance on my part.

I have just bought an OOM12 kit and will be doing it in the next couple of weeks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

And just to add some encouragement, I did this - with said post printed and in hand - and it's nowhere near as hard as it sounds!

The hardest parts are getting the manifold off and on over the EGR tube, making sure there's nothing trapped when you put it back (because you just can't see!) and making sure you get ALL the vacuum hoses back on.

On that subject, beware of the PCV valve (driver's side rear of the job) - it can pop out unnoticed - but you'll know when you start up!

Good luck!

Thanks for the encouragement. I am actually looking forward to doing the job. I have done a few things on my Explorer recently. We have owned it since near new, but the more of my own time I invest in it the more attached to it I become.

OOM 12 kit problems

Hi All

I have just made the rash mistage of trying to fit the OOM 12 kit myself. I say rash 'cos I have just bolted it all back together and when I start it it revs straight to 3000rpm and then dies. An air leak maybe? I was cautious torquing down the upper section of the inlet manifold 'cos it was screwing into plastic.

Does anyone have any thoughts? It doesn't appear to be a vacuum hose as I have checked them.

Is there something I may not have refitted properly of broken that may cause this?

All thoughts greatly appreciated.

I am in Kent. Does anyone have any ideas as to where I could take my 98 EX for rectification works?

Cheers

Neil

Neil,

Think back & ask yourself how much of a fight it was to get the manifold back into place? It's usually a pain to get it over the EGR tube for a start.

Have a slow look right round & just check the vacuum connections - there's SO many! Towards the back, there's to going backwards, two going outwards & two going downwards, then there's the stuff in the centre.....

Have a look at all the stuff you took off - in the centre espscially - the IAC etc.

I was "fortunate" in that I was replacing an exploded manifold so when mine ran like a sack of s...t, I got the old one & looked round to see what I might have missed.

Did it sit down flat when you put it in place? Could you have trapped anything & is everything around the throttle body back in place properly (gaskets, cables etc)?

Also have a slow stare around the electrical connections in case you left anything off like that.

It does sound like an air leak & a big one at that so with a bit of diligence, you should find it.

Good luck!

Thanks Jon

I have already looked at it and it does appear that the upper inlet manifold is not seating as well as it should. It was a pig to get on and I am twitchy about placing over reliance on the self tappers to clamp it down without getting the two sections to sit flush first. Interestingly I did not have too much trouble with the EGR tube. I put a little washing up liquid on the seal and it slipped in easily.

I have decided to leave it today and maybe revisit it tomorrow.

Your encouragement is much appreciated!

Oh yes, has anyone else noticed that the word "and" gets replaced by "pizza" in some posts....or is it just me?

No, it's everyone - looks like it might be somebody's cute idea of an April Fool gag. Hilarious I'm sure - if you're six!

Mine didn't sit flat either - not as I'd like anyway - which may or may not have something to do with that fact that every once in a while, it runs like a sick pig then somehow gets better.

One of the disadvantages of a single-point gas system on a plastic manifold unfortunately - it has the odd small backfire which then leads to the above condition - but it hasn't broken anything for a while...............

They did the pizza thing last year to

Where are you Kellen? Maybe one of us that has done it before is close enough to come give you a hand

also the manifolds are known to warp, many threads on here with this dilemma

hi kellen

just finished doing my gaskets.
i did find it easier to remove/replace top manifold by undoing EGR valve retaining bolts and as already stated you must make sure that nothing is trapped,
as janolsson says where are you maybe someone is close enough to give some help

tom

Hi All

I'm back. Hmmm, more adventures in Explorer land. Yes, I had problems fitting the OOM12 kit.....my ham-fisted efforts. It seems one of the inlet seals had come out of its seat and got trapped when fitting the manifold.

I greatly appreciate all the offers of help. After much consideration and because I have become rather attached to the Explorer I decided to have it recovered to Justin at Uk Explorer Parts in Newport and also have other work done as well.

Justin had my Explorer for just over a week and had the engine out and did chains back and front, fitted new brake pipes throughout and various other bits, suspension etc. I am very pleased with the results and the Explorer drives very well.

A bit of a cop out I guess??? Probably....but I would only have spent the money on wine, women and song......if my wife reads this I am, of course, only joking.

:D

Back