Installation: ClearGearz 8.8" Clear Differential Cover | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installation: ClearGearz 8.8" Clear Differential Cover

ExplorerDMB

Moderator/Technician
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Mechanicsville, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Acura TL
If you are thinking about dressing up your driveline and don't need the functionality of a aluminum cover with a girdle - then DO NOT get a chrome differential cover. It will eventually be a waste of money because of the sand, dirt, etc that will pit the cover and then allow it to rust. Mine did and now I had to replace it. I ordered this cover from Jeg's!

ClearGearz (a company under TransDapt) has been in business for awhile as a company that has taken the differential cover one step further. Their selling point is that you will be able to watch the fluid level without having to take out a fill plug to see how deep it goes. Also, the cover is made out of polycarbonate (same material as bullet-proof glass) and is very strong. It states on their website that their cover is as strong, if not stronger, than any other cover out there on the market.

Tools/Parts Needed:

Tools
-13mm Socket (shallow works best)
-3/8s-Drive Impact Gun (or a rachet)
-Flat-Head Screwdriver
-Hammer
-Razor Blade

Parts
-8.8" ClearGearz Differential Cover (969-8412)
-1 Tube of Clear Silicone Sealant

Installation:

On the Ford 8.8", there is no drain plug for the rearend, so you will need to open the case by taking the cover loose and allowing the fluid to run out. To do this, take loose all the bolts and remove them, except for the top bolt. Thread that bolt a quarter to half way down then use the screwdriver to pry the cover off the housing. If you can't get the screwdriver uner it, take a hammer and wedge it inbetween gently. Once you have drained most the fluid out, remove the cover completely. Try to clean the housing out as much as possible (you can use brake & parts cleaner if you wish).

Take a razor blade to the housing and clean off any silicone or gasket that may be remaining. This is important; if not cleaned well you may not have a good seal on the housing and will cause a leak.

Clean off the cover, and then place a bead of silicone (not too thick) on the edge of the cover and allow to sit for 2-4 minutes. After that, place the cover on the housing and put one of the bolts, that are included in the kit, on the top hole and one bolt on the bottom hole. Do not tighten down -- only put in a few threads so you can slide the 2-piece trim under the bolt. After the trim piece is in, put the rest of the bolts in loosely. After all the bolts are in, start to tighten from the middle of the outsides up and from the middle of the outsides down. DO NOT tighten the top and bottom bolts first. This will cause the trim piece to go crooked and may cause a sealant problem.

After the bolts are snugged tight, go around and make sure there is a good seal all the way around (you should see some silicone coming out of the sides of the cover). If everything looks good, put in your gear lube. ClearGearz recommends the use of synthetic fluid for a better transparency. The Ford 8.8" takes about 5-1/2 pints or 2-3/4 quarts of fluid. It should be a little under the halfway mark on the cover.

I was impressed with this cover and find it very nice looking and functional. The only flaw I see, is that they should of left the trim piece as one piece. Making it a once piece might of made it harder for installation, but it is hard to line the trim up exactly right. They do make a cover for the Dana 35 (part # 8406), but Jeg's does not carry it.

Contacts:

If you have any question, contact ClearGearz by e-mail at techsupport@tdperformance.com or by telephone at (562) 921-0404 on Monday-Friday from 8:00am to 5:00pm (pacific time).

If you have any questions about the installation, either PM me or leave a post. I will try to answer your question(s) as best as possible.

Pictures:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I just noticed that I put a little more silicone than I needed on the top of the cover (pic #2)! Oh well, atleast I know it's sealed! It looks good in the sun! Hope you all enjoy!

-Drew

Attachments

• 000_0490_small.JPG
    000_0490_small.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 8,608
  • 000_0491_small.JPG
    000_0491_small.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 18,186
  • 000_0494_small.JPG
    000_0494_small.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 19,024

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very nice install and a great write up; thanks for sharing with us.

Very cool Drew. I like it so much that I may have to do it :)

DirtyDog said:
Very cool Drew. I like it so much that I may have to do it :)

That's fine with me. Am I the first to do this?

-Drew

Very cool, wheres the video you promised:)

spindlecone said:
Very cool, wheres the video you promised:)

Haha, I will look into it. But I don't know how to host the videos and stuff. I mean, just imagine the things are moving. Ha, all I can say is I will look into it.

-Drew

Nice write-up. That thing looks great. Depending on what you say about it in the future, I might have to get one of those for the dana44 when it goes under my truck. :cool: You can host a vid on here for about 2 weeks if it is under 25mb. I don't know how to do it, so if you don't figure it out, PM tdavis.

That is the exactly one I had CG!

-Drew

That looks great man. Great write-up too. I might have to get one of those sometime.

CG said:
Very nice, I've got the cheap ebay chrome one sitting here ready to go on & now i'm rethinking that...

You just described me. I just bought an eBay chromie (still haven't gotten it :rolleyes: ), and now I want one of these :D . Although the price tag quickly changes my mind.

The price tag is defilently what put me at a hold-still at buying this cover...but then I thought "buy it once - and that's it". No sense in buying 3-4 chrome covers after they rust from pitting.

-Drew

Got one of those a year ago and have taken the X 4wheeling several times with no problems. Looks great too.

So far it has been a nice cover. I drove around for about 30 minutes and I then went to the back and felt the cover - it wasn't as hot as the metal/chrome cover. Which is always good! Heat reduction, friction reduction is always great!

-Drew

looks good... too bad i cant do this to my yota.....

ExplorerDMB said:
So far it has been a nice cover. I drove around for about 30 minutes and I then went to the back and felt the cover - it wasn't as hot as the metal/chrome cover. Which is always good! Heat reduction, friction reduction is always great!

-Drew

That could simply be because the plastic is not as good of a conductor of heat as the metal ones are. That's all. The reduction in heat generated by using synthetic is not going to make that much of a difference. I'd say it's definately a worthwhile investment though.

For those that have taken it wheeling, how has the cover held up to rocks? Scratches/gouges?

-Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yep I'm also curious to how it holds up on the trails.

Back