Installed 3" bl need a 4x4 shift lever... help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installed 3" bl need a 4x4 shift lever... help

Master

Reaction score
City, State
Baton Rouge, LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
I just installed a 3" body lift every thing seemed to go fine then I got in to go for a test drive and I noticed my 4x4 shift lever was on the floor board. I was wondering where can I get an extension for it or a new one. Also I put in a steering column extender but now when I turn the wheel between 12 to 3 oclock the it gradually gets harder to turn then after that point it will be easy then build up tension again>.... any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have no transfer case, so I didn't have to extend my shifter. I did notice the steering now requires more force, but all the time. It's never caused any problems, just something I keep thinking about. I wonder if anyone else has noticed that. I used the Performance Accessories kit from JC Whitney.

for the steering you may need to get either a universal u-joint made by borgeson. or you may need to get a whole new steering shaft, either made by borgeson or flaming river, thats pretty much the only thing that will make the steering better

Cool thanks for the help... just need something for the shifter now.

I made my own 2" body lift kit, and I though that a extension for 2" will not be needed... WRONG!! so... I took of the shift, saw it by the base and weld it back with a 2" solid tube in the middle, PROBLEM SOLVED!! a year and still counting....

Back