Installed New Leaf Springs

C420sailor

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT SOHC, 99 EB 5.0L
For those of you battling saggy butt syndrome (SBS), this is the fix. I did a decent amount of research, and while many suggested the Monroe shocks, the mechanical engineer in me didn't like the idea of the shocks/mounts supporting the load that the leaf springs should be supporting. I made the decision to replace the flattened out leafs. It's an easy job but takes some time---and an air impact is a VERY nice to have.

Parts:

(2) Leaf Springs from Michigan Truck Spring (http://www.truckspring.com) $105/each.
(2) Rear Shackles by Husky Spring (RockAuto---come with bolts)
(2) Front leaf spring bolts by Husky Spring (Rock Auto)
(4) U-bolts by Husky Spring (Rock Auto---comes with nuts/washers)

Steps:

1) Drop the spare.
2) Chock the front wheels. Jack the ass end of the truck until the rear wheels just barely leave the ground and put jackstands under each frame rail just forward of the leafs. Support the axle tubes with small jackstands.
3) Remove the right wheel (not required, but makes access easier)
4) Unbolt the shock from the u-bolt plate and move it out of the way. (15mm bolt, 18mm nut)
5) Unbolt the parking brake cable bracket from the u-bolt plate (10mm)
6) Remove the u-bolt nuts (18mm)
7) Unbolt the rear shackle from the frame (21mm) while supporting it with your off hand. The spring may be somewhat stuck to the axle tube, but a good smack with a mallet/hammer will free it. Lower the aft portion of the spring to the ground.
8) Remove the front spring bolt/nut (21mm) and lower the front of the spring to the ground. Get the spring out of the way.
9) Verify that the hole in the center of the u-bolt plate is large enough to accomodate the nut on the center bolt in your new leaf pack. Mine was too small, so I drilled/filed it out a bit.
10) Hang the rear shackle. Do not tighten nut. I didn't bother replacing the bushing, as the old one seems to have been pressed in like a MFer, and still looked okay.
11) Referencing the spring still installed on the other side, orient the new spring in the proper direction and get it lined up underneath the trucklet
12) Lift the front of the spring into place and insert the bolt. Do not tighten nut.
13) Using your man strength, push the rear of the spring up into the shackle and insert the new bolt, thread the nut.
14) Use a little persuasion (I kicked it) to get the top of the leaf pack center bolt to seat in the alignment hole in the axle tube. When you see it, it'll make sense.
15) Drop the new u-bolts into position, replace the u-bolt plate, and thread the washers/nuts on finger tight.
16) Tighten the front bolt, shackle bolts to spec. I torqued mine to 105ft*lbs, but reference your shop manual for the correct values.
17) Tighten the u-bolt nuts evenly (I used a criss-cross pattern, jumping from nut to nut every couple of turns) to spec. Husky recommended 65ft*lbs, while the shop manual recommended something like 108ft*lbs. I went with the manual's recommendation---over to you.
18) Re-attach the parking brake cable bracket
19) Use your floor jack to get the extended shock back into position. Install the bolt and tighten to spec. Re-install the wheel.
20) Repeat for the other side.
21) Lower the vehicle and re-install the spare.
22) Drive the vehicle for 20-30 miles and re-check u-bolt torque.

I'm not a professional, so YMMV---and I'm sure some guys who have BTDT will chime in with corrections/techniques. The back of my trucklet now sits 1.5-2" higher, doesn't droop NEARLY as much when it's loaded, and the suspension feels much tighter. I love it. Best of luck!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks, I'm thinking about doing this when it warms up this summer, I'll be looking this post up then.

Thanks, I'm thinking about doing this when it warms up this summer, I'll be looking this post up then.

Highly recommend the springs from Michigan Truck Spring. Springs on RockAuto were anywhere from $115 and up, and shipping was RIDICULOUS.

Nice job and good write up. Always good to see someone do it the right way.

For those of you battling saggy butt syndrome (SBS), this is the fix. I did a decent amount of research, and while many suggested the Monroe shocks, the mechanical engineer in me didn't like the idea of the shocks/mounts supporting the load that the leaf springs should be supporting.

While replacing the leaf springs may result in a better ride than the Monroe shocks, it's not a safety issue or design issue. The Monroe helper shocks provide 1,200 lbs of extra force (from their spec sheet), which is the same amount the optional air springs provide. These air springs were a factory option from Ford. It's not a coincidence that the numbers are the same - Monroe would be very foolish (and expose themselves to excessive liability) if they exceeded the design loads of the cross member.

FWIW, Gabriel also sells a similar helper shock that provides 500 lbs of extra force (per pair) that might be more appropriate for those with only slightly saggy butts.

Part numbers? The only ones I found on that site were $138.64 & $105.95 each.

43-967

You're right. Maybe I happened to get mine when they were on sale? Or perhaps the price recently went up?

Hi, long time not here, but I'm back... : )

My EX has 2 broken rear springs (the forward eyes are cracked on both sides).
So, I've been looking into replacements, and I get Part #43-1159, Spring Code F, 1100 lbs capacity, for under-axle application. For Part #43-967, I see Spring Code U, 1250 lbs capacity, for over-axle application.

I also notice that the 1159 has thinner leaves but a larger arch (6 1/2") than the 967 (4 13/16"), and it sounds like the OP installed the 967 under the axle.

My door jamb clearly says SPR BF, and it's obviously under the axle. I have the tow package with 3.73 ratio and aux trans cooler.

Now I'm confused... On paper, the 1159 looks like the right one for my truck. However, at 1100#, it's a weak spring. The 967 may be stronger, but it has a smaller arch to it. Furthermore, I seem to remember seeing the axle rated at 3200# somewhere, and I know the GVWR is 2950#. Nevertheless, there only 1100# and 1250# springs available. I don't get it.

Can anyone make some sense of this and clue me in? Thanks!

Back