Installing a 7-pin trailer connection on a '99 XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing a 7-pin trailer connection on a '99 XLT

Homerexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Upstate NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT 4WD
I have a '99 Explorer XLT that did not come with the towing package. I have installed a hitch, verified the tranny cooler and need to install a 7 pin connection for a boat trailer. I don't know why the trailer is using a 7-pin (no electric brakes, just surge brakes, back-up lights maybe?) but it really doesn't matter. I have identified the pigtail under the driver's side tailight for the 4-pin trailer connection. My plan was to buy the 4 pin connection for this pigtail and then buy a Hoppy wiring harness to go from the 4 pin to the 7-pin. I was then going to splice in the necessary wires in the taillamp assembly for the back-up lights (back-up hot wire). Any other suggestions?

I also noticed a 6 pin pigtail under the bumper of the passenger side taillamp. Does anyone know what this is for? I tested it quickly and it did not seem to be for the signals. Any help would be appreciated as the Ford dealer had absolutley no idea about any of this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You really only need a 7 pin connector if you have trailer brakes and back up lights. There is also a pin for 12v constant if you need it. If you need to wire anything up this is a good website for wiring up trailer connectors.
http://www.etrailer.com/faq/wiring.asp

5th wire

It's my understanding that the 5th wire (reverse/back-up) disables the surge brakes. Is this correct? The 1st trailer I looked at had a 5-pin but the one I'm looking at now comes with the 7-pin. I don't plan on connecting the 12V source or the electric brakes, as I don't have a need for them.

if it have surge brakes there are no electrical connections. I used to pull a trailer with surge brakes and if the brakes ever locked up I'd just drive the opposite direction i was going and they would generally unlock.

There are some surge brake systems that use a back-up dump solenoid or lock-out solenoid to allow you to back the trailer up a hill. Without it, the harder you push it, the tighter the brakes are going to lock, and you end up skidding the trailer up-hill. It's quite possible that this system is one of those. The only way to know is to speak with the trailer owner/manufacturer/assembler/builder that knows.

For basic lights, just pick up a 7-4 adapter at the local trailer shop.

-Joe

This is the outlet I have mounted in the rear bumper of my X. Has both the 4 and 7 prong hookups. Plus I don't have to worry about losing any adapter (been there before :rolleyes: ). I bought it from WalMart for $20.

Thanks for all of the input. The trailer manufacturer (Prestige) got back to me and was very helpful. GIjoeCam was exactly right - there is a back-up solenoid that disengages the surge brakes when the back-up lights are on (5th wire), allowing you to back up an incline. Thanks again.

Back