Installing ceiling mount DVD player | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing ceiling mount DVD player

naiku

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford Explorer Ltd V8
My wife and I are on the hunt for a 2007-2010 Explorer (either Eddie Bauer or Limited) and would like to find one with the ceiling mounted DVD player. However, it seems as though, at least in this area, that was not really a particularly popular option.

Has anyone managed to retro fit either a factory DVD player, or an aftermarket one to the ceiling? I know we could go the route of installing head rest screens, but would prefer the ceiling option due to having kids in the 3rd row.

I have been spending some time reading and searching, but have yet to come across someone who installed a ceiling mount.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can always add an aftermarket one. Installing the factory one is not worth it.

You can always add an aftermarket one. Installing the factory one is not worth it.

Sorry, I should have been more clear if I cannot find one with a factory ceiling mount, I would absolutely be going with an aftermarket one. I just can't find any information about how to mount one, how difficult an install it is.

I am fairly competent at stereo installs, running a Nexus 7 as the head unit in my A4 along with a JBL MS8 etc. and have some experience installing into an F150, but never any ceiling mount DVD players.

Ceiling mount DVD players are actually quite easy. It just takes a bit more effort if you want to run them to the factory speakers.
Best bet would be, forget about looking for the one with a DVD player factory and get one with a lower end radio, swap it to a double din touchscreen unit, and run that to a DVD player in the ceiling. That way you can control the output to it.

Or, if you want one independently, it's just running a power wire (You can even use Dome light constant power if you're lazy, many people do this.) and hooking it up.

Great, thanks. I am not that bothered about running it to the factory speakers, as my kids would use headphones 99.9% of the time. We are going to look at one this weekend that already has a DVD player, but at least knowing its easy enough to add an aftermarket one opens up options on available Explorers (and likely means finding a cheaper one as well).

To be honest, the factory Ford one is garbage..

To be honest, the factory Ford one is garbage..

Figured as much, hopefully I can find my wife an Explorer that ticks all the other boxes, and then let her know I can install an aftermarket DVD player easily enough.

Good luck.

Back