Installing control arms and sway bar links | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing control arms and sway bar links

Floridaexplorer43

Reaction score
City, State
Tallahassee, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 4wd 4 0
Do I have to preload upper control arm?
How ?
Torque specs?
Anything special or tips?
I Plan to replace upper control arms and sway bar links (2004 Explorer Eddie Bauer) rear wheel drive

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here are two videos for the upper control arm.

How to Replace Upper Control Arm and Ball Joint 02-05 Mercury Mountaineer
UPPER CONTROL ARM REPLACEMENT (2002-'05 MERCURY MOUNTAINEER)

The first video says 110 ft/lb for the 2 main bolts on either side of the knuckle and 90 ft/lbs for the ball joint castle nut. They don't give a torque for the 2 bushing nuts on either end.

The sway bar links are easy, as long as you can get the old ones off. Spray with penetrating oil at least a day before you do the job and have your bolt extractor sockets handy. I would spray all of it with PB if you haven't already and do plan on an alignment after.

LMHmedchem

Here are two videos for the upper control arm.

How to Replace Upper Control Arm and Ball Joint 02-05 Mercury Mountaineer
UPPER CONTROL ARM REPLACEMENT (2002-'05 MERCURY MOUNTAINEER)

The first video says 110 ft/lb for the 2 main bolts on either side of the knuckle and 90 ft/lbs for the ball joint castle nut. They don't give a torque for the 2 bushing nuts on either end.

The sway bar links are easy, as long as you can get the old ones off. Spray with penetrating oil at least a day before you do the job and have your bolt extractor sockets handy. I would spray all of it with PB if you haven't already and do plan on an alignment after.

LMHmedchem
How soon after ? (Alignment)
Currently the ball joint is gone and the sway links bushings are gone too and the steering wheel shakes left to right. I have tires on front now I’m not worried about eating up.

As far as getting sway link off I have saw zall and grinders with cutting wheels

I bought two control arms at Autozone. There Appears to be a plastic sleeve over the ball joint, I believe this to be just a protector during shipment am I correct??

A893EBFB-5BB8-4C77-948D-072CD4E3AD82.jpeg 046CAA8E-CE10-483C-AAAD-EF08DA7E73DD.jpeg

Currently the ball joint is gone and the sway links bushings are gone too and the steering wheel shakes left to right. I have tires on front now I’m not worried about eating up.

As far as getting sway link off I have saw zall and grinders with cutting wheels
??

I would get an alignment as soon as you finish all of your suspension work. A badly aligned suspension places stress on the components in ways that the components were not designed to withstand. This is more important than just tire wear. It also affects gas mileage, as does your tire pressure.

I try to get an alignment and wheel balancing every year and I would definitely get one after any significant suspension work.

LMHmedchem

The 1A auto video shows torquing in the air but supposedly in the correct ride pattern

The 1A auto video shows torquing in the air but supposedly in the correct ride pattern
This is for the bushings on the upper control arm. I don't believe that there is a torque value given, at least I don't know what it is.

I would put the truck on the ground with the tires installed and measure the distance from the top of the lower control arm to something that will not move with the suspension arms, like the top center of the wheel well. You can mark the spot you are measuring to with a piece of tape. Take this measurement in "ride position" meaning when the truck is on the ground where the strut is loaded up.

After you have the upper control arm installed, put your jack under the lower control arm just to the rear of where the strut mounts. You will feel a solid metal piece there underneath. Jack up the lower control arm to the height that you measured. With the suspension in this position, tighten down the nuts on the bushings on either end of the upper control arm. I think this is an 18mm box wrench. Get them nice and tight, again I don't know the torque value, plus it's hard to get a ratchet in there because of the inner fender.

All the other nuts can be torqued with the truck off of the ground.

LMHmedchem

Took about 8 hours yesterday
Went today for an alignment (receipt states alignment set toe and camber where applicable)

I mentioned I don’t like driving 70 mph in this vehicle and the steering wheel shimmies so I also paid for rotation and balance even though I bought an identical explorer same years wheels (rims and tires) and put them on in the last week. After paying for all that was told the tires are cupped so not much better but the tires were unbalanced so they did what they charged me for. Still not a nice ride.
Can cupped tires be repaired?

Back