installing factory fog lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

installing factory fog lights

I just recently bought a 95 Explorer XLT 4wd. I love it except for the fact that it does not have factory fog lights. Does anyone have one with fog lights and one without them that they could look at and tell me what all I need to know? Where are the factory wiring harnesses for the lights / are they even there? Will I need anything more than a new air dam, the lights and brackets, and the switch in the dash? Is everything already wired properly (the wires to the switch, will they go on and off with the low and high beams respectively)? Does anybody have any of these parts for sale? (the local junk yard is a major rip off) Anyone know where I might could order these parts from for a reasonable price?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My suggestion, get some aftermarket fogs and mount them either onto the top of the bumper, or in the "mouth" of the airdam. Frankly, the factory fogs suck. I think there are some PIAAs that look like the factory fogs, but why get the new airdam? However, if you still want to the get the new airdam, get the one from ExplorerExpress. It looks better and fits round lights. I don't know if the wiring is already there for your fog lights if you don't have them, but you don't want to use that for aftermarket fogs, you want to use the wiring that comes with them.

I have little Pilot projector fogs. They are at least 5 times brighter than stock, and haven't broken (which my stockers did twice). They're $50 at Autozone. Some people swear by PIAAs or Hellas. It all depends on how often you're gonna use them and where. I would recommend PIAAs if you want really tough, bright lights, but you have to pay the price. Pilots are good: easy to hook up, pretty tough, and pretty bright. You can't beat their price.

BTW, WELCOME TO THE BOARD!!!! Just look around this forum (go to the top pulldown menu and select "show all threads". There are many threads on aftermarket fogs.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

I'd like to start off by welcoming you to the site. There is just about everything you need all right here.

As for the lights.....what do you need them for. Don't just go rushing out and buy a set of lights and find out there not the ones you needed. When are you going to use them???? What type of driving??

For city driving/rockcrawling type offroading
Go with a set of lights with a fog light lense. This type of lense will spread the light out from you left to your right but not too far ahead of you. This will let you see what's right in front of you but not to far ahead. You can get several lights with a fog lense....or you can get a light made for foggy driving.
Dead Link Removed

Highway driving/pre-running
For this I'd go with a driving light. These are fast driving conditions where you need the extra time to make a move if you need to. This lense will shine in a narrow beam far far far down the road. You will need to use this like you would hibeams.
Dead Link Removed

Let us know what type of driving you will mostly be doing and we'll let you know what to buy.

As for the other questions....your airdamn will work just fine. They are making lights smaller and smaller now so you won't have a problem getting one to fit. You WILL need to rerun some wires for the lights. These are much more(grammer school did me good) powerful than stock and might fry the stock wires. Use the wires given the the light company. You will need to mount a switch on the dash and yes it can be hooked up to turn on and off with the hibeams, or with just a flip of the switch. Good Luck.

Not anythng to do with the post, but I just noticed your name: yob_yeknom is Monkey boy spelled backwards, any reason why?

Monkey Boy has been my nickname since I was in 7th grade. Most people that know me call me Monkey Boy and probably have forgotten what my real name is considering the only place people call me John is at work. Monkey Boy is spelled backwards because a long time ago when I got my hotmail account monkey_boy was already taken so I decided to spell it backwards. I even put 1 YEKNOM and 2 YEKNOM on my license plates of my car, a 1989 Dodge Daytona ES which even though it is old and only has a 4 cylinder is my BABY, and my Explorer respectively. And don't anybody insult my car because they think it is weak or something. I might have made a few slight modifications hehe....

About the fog lights... For right now I want the factory lights. I just like stuff to have the original factory look. I will be adding the more serious lights after Christmas when I get a brush guard.

yob yeknom

Here is yob yeknod spelt the right way hehe. I took my factory fogs off. Let me know if you are interested. But you still would need the loom, switch etc., which I reused for my new fogs.

Back