• Register Today It's free!

Installing Radiator

stainless steel

Reaction score
City, State
charlotte
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96
I own a '96, V6 automatic 4.0. I have a busted radiator. I just got a repalcement from the junk yard. I haven't worked on cars before. at least nothing technical. I would like to install this radiator as my first project. from looking at it, it doesn't seem too difficult but still don't know how. can anyone give me some guidelines, procedures, info, anything that will help through this installation process.

thanks.

stainless steel said:
I own a '96, V6 automatic 4.0. I have a busted radiator. I just got a repalcement from the junk yard. I haven't worked on cars before. at least nothing technical. I would like to install this radiator as my first project. from looking at it, it doesn't seem too difficult but still don't know how. can anyone give me some guidelines, procedures, info, anything that will help through this installation process.

thanks.
Wellcome to the site, is not that big a job, first drain the Rad, is a petcock or drainplug, usually pass side, bottom (remove the rad cap first).
Capture the fluid and put it in sealable containers, do not leave it setting around( it can and will kill dogs and cats, they are attracted to it because it has a sweet taste), remove the upper and lower rad hoses.
disconnect the 4 tranny lines, remove the bolts that retain the rad, remove the rad.
Install in the reverse manner, suggest new rad hoses and clamps.
Fill the rad with 50/50 distilled water and proper antifreeze.
Start the engine with the cap off, fill as needed.

think the above has been double posted

Back