• Register Today It's free!

radiator compatibility

foolio

Reaction score
City, State
garden city, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 ranger
i have a 96 5.0 that just started leaking from the crimped edge of the aluminum to plastic. Now i know i need a 2 row radiator but is there a difference in a 2row for a v8 and a 2 row for a v6? reason i ask is because i might try to pick one up from the junkyard because i really dont wanna spend the $200 right now for a new one, and there around 20 bucks at the yard i go to.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i'm pretty sure they are different, both advance auto parts and autozone show different part numbers for the 2 on their websites

yeah i seen that but you never know with them. thats just like with my wifes jeep tj they always show different part numbers for tj and Cherokee but they end up being the same part and about 40% cheaper if its for "Cherokee". recently i saved almost 100 bux on her starter by getting cherokee instead of tj. needless to say i always to my research and comparison before i fork over my money to them.

when i replaced the radiator in my explorer the guy at the junkyard i go to told me that the only years i could get one from were 96 and 97. you could always call your local junkyard and see if they know or call a radiator shop, i imagine one of them could tell you what will work and what wont.

Ford updated from the 2 row to the 1 row in late 99 or 00 cant remember. the 1 row will work just as good if not better and its also cheaper.

Just brought mine from rockauto.com at 113$ and it was made my spectra (made in canada) and quality seemed great imho.

Also by moving to a 1 row give you the option of going to a electric fan in case you ever wanted to free up some HP.

Brad

just looked at rock auto and seen the one for 113, but it has a year warranty and the one for $122 has life time so i should probably go with that one if i buy new

well i just read the lifetime warranty and thats only valid if installed buy certified professional so that excludes me anyways lol

Back