• Register Today It's free!

installing remote start

lightining rod

Reaction score
City, State
Wapello, Ia
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
Im trying to install a remote start myself on my 92 explorer. I am having trouble finding the approriate wires to tie into to make it work. If anybody knows these wire colors that would greatly help. The book that come with the remote starter says what they are but im not finding them under the dash in the bundle that comes out of the steering column. the bundle leads up to the turn signal switch and then runs across the top of the steering column. Is it possible I have the wrong group of wires? thanks in advance.

Color Codes

Anyone that needs a color code to install an alarm, starter, door locks, or speakers let me know. I have color codes, locations, speaker sizes, and more for nearly every vehicle. I am not selling, just offering. I own a shop.

Chris

lightining rod said:
Im trying to install a remote start myself on my 92 explorer. I am having trouble finding the approriate wires to tie into to make it work. If anybody knows these wire colors that would greatly help. The book that come with the remote starter says what they are but im not finding them under the dash in the bundle that comes out of the steering column. the bundle leads up to the turn signal switch and then runs across the top of the steering column. Is it possible I have the wrong group of wires? thanks in advance.

I just installed a Bulldog Security remote start on my 94. The wiring bundle I tapped into is just to the right of the steering column by my right knee. It is larger than the bundle on the left side that I think you referenced. The wiring colors should be the same for yours:

12 Volt Constant = Heavy Yellow (2 each)
Starter = Red/Light Blue
Ignition 1 = Red/Light Green (2 each - use either)
Ignition 2 = Black/Green (Heavier)
Accessory/Heater Blower = Gray Yellow (2 each - use both)

Other wires for door locks, dome light, horn, tach, etc. are elsewhere and should be indicated in your remote starter manual. If not I can provide those, too.

Mine worked first time, so I guess I'm lucky. The install is not as easy as they like you to think it is - mostly because it is tight and hard to access the under-dash wiring. Take your time and good luck. :D

Happy New Year !! Craig

Back