Installing Tweeters | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing Tweeters

Fordy55

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
I am considering installing tweets in my 05 Expo. I just installed a sub+amp, and I am wondering on how to approach a tweeter install. I understand that I will need a cross over, but where do I hook it up to? I am very confused on how to wire the tweets so if anyone can help me that would be great :)

I was looking on BestBuy.com and they had Pioneer Tweets that had a crossover built in, this whole crossover thing is really confusing me. If someone could just explain to me how to wire these things that would be great. I'm assuming I do not hook it up to my amp and I just tap into my door speakers?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just hooked them up to the deck with one of the speaker out puts I was not using. My Pioneer AVH3100 has plenty of power for some tweets 220W here is where I mounted them.

IMG_1293.jpg

Thanks, so you just plugged the tweeters into the back of the radio/head unit?

I would not suggest that you just plug tweeters directly into the speaker wire of a head unit. A tweeter is not designed to play any notes lower than 2,000 HZ (Average), and when you drop all of 40, 80, 120, and 200 Hz notes from normal listening you could simply prematurely destroy the tweeter.

A good 2X Crossover can carry you where you need it to. Basically, a tweeter has one input, two outputs. You put the speaker wire from the HU into the input, and then you run the highs to the tweeter, and the midrange sound to your standard door speaker.

2-way (& up) speakers essentially have built in crossovers, so if you bought an external Xover to run a set of tweeters and your standard door speakers, you could in theory run it like this:

1. HU Wire to the input
2. Door Speakers wired into High and Mid outputs of the Xover
3. Tweeter wired into the High outpuit of the Xover

I would not suggest that you just plug tweeters directly into the speaker wire of a head unit. You could simply prematurely destroy the tweeter.

I have had these clairion tweeters for almost 3 years they are running into there own crossover seperate from my focal cossover in the door. They are 200 watts max and and they work GREAT.

I actually had a Taurus with the premium sound (Had tweeters in the doors) and I cut the x-overs from it, and have used it with my tweeters for almost 3 years now, and never blown a set.

Back