• Register Today It's free!

Instrument Cluster KO'd?

Viro

Reaction score
City, State
Leamington, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Sport Trac XLT 4x4
I was attempting to install some components for satellite radio so I removed my deck to put in two sirius parts etc....in the process I neglected to keep my door close and my battery died.

So I've jumped the battery and at first I had a 'low fuel' message in the trip counter but then noticed it was reading low fuel so I took it for a spin and the only guage that is moving is the RPM guage.

Fuel guage is low (full tank I just filled yesterday) and the battery, temp guages are at half and the speedometer doesn't move.

What gives? Fuses look good and while hoping for some luck I disconnected the battery before I jumped it to check the terminals hoping I'd get lucky but didn't.....I didn't run any new wires anywhere etc....only from the sirius components to the deck.....which the stupid sirius thing ain't working.....

Help please....

I also noticed the heads up display for temperature/direction is frozen with '30 calNW' displaying on it.....

I'd almost lean towards a bad hookup on the Siruis wiring. It sounds like something is wired wrong and shorting out the circuit. That could also explain why the Sirius isn't working...

if you cut wires to splice in sirius power, make sure you connected the sirius power + to +, and - to -, they may be backwards.

Test for power with DMM (digital multimeter), test lights are no good.

As mentioned in post above, you may have wired up a short circuit whilst attempting to install sirius components.
A battery wouldn't die in an hour or two with the door open, maybe after 6 hours unless your battery is on it's way out.

could also be a PCM problem though, might have been damaged during boost, proper boosting procedure is outlined in the owners manual.

Back