• Register Today It's free!

Insurance wants body style...?

Brando

Reaction score
City, State
Gilbert, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport
I started doing a quote for insurance on my 01 explorer sport.
They ask for year/make/model/
the there is a drop down for body style that gives me two options.
2DR Wagon - 4.0 ltr - 6cyl - 1FMCU70E01
2DR Wagon - 4.0 ltr - 6cyl - 1FMDU60E01
I have my title and the vin shows something close to one of those, but not exactly.

What is the difference and how do i determine which on i have?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you would have to know what each digit meant in the VIN Code. I got mine over the phone, and the agent just asked about the trim level i.e. XL XLS XLT, EB, etc.

the problem is this is done online for a quote from a new company, no agent to speak to yet.
I would think there is one very specific distinction between the two.
I wonder if this "style" is reflected on something on the vehicle on a sticker, perhaps in the door, ill check tomorrow.

I believe the difference is the engine. One is 4.0 OHV and the other is 4.0 SOHC.

Edit: Nope I guess not. After looking at the 2 different sample vin codes, neither of the digits that are different between the two are for the engine. The first one (4th digit) is for GVWR. The second one (6th and 7th digit) is for 4x4 or 4x2 and body style.

In the sample vins, the 4th digit C is a GVWR of 4001-5000Lbs. D is 5001-6000Lbs.
The 6th and 7th digits in the sample vins are not valid examples.

I would just check what your GVWR is and use that.

Here's a VIN decoding chart http://www.explorerforum.com/ntrprize/VIN.htm

the problem is this is done online for a quote from a new company, no agent to speak to yet.
I would think there is one very specific distinction between the two.
I wonder if this "style" is reflected on something on the vehicle on a sticker, perhaps in the door, ill check tomorrow.

There in lies the problem. If I want a quote I will talk to a live person. Some stuff just shouldn't be done on the internet.

Back