• Register Today It's free!

2001 explorer sports.

eckerd_explorer

Reaction score
City, State
St. Petersburg Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 30" XTR's
So, in my quest for a new explorer, I've been thinking about the 01 Sport... Why did ford change only the 2dr body style on 01 and not the 4dr. Are the engines still the same in the 01 sports as the previous v6 SOHC's? How about the suspension, and axles, do the 01's have a different set up in the rear?
As far as the 01 sports with the tow package, do they also come with the aux tranny cool, diff gears, springs or hitch?

I guess my main concern is, what are the differences between the two body styles, other than the bodies??? :rolleyes:

A good search can find most of the answers; however, the '01s are pretty much still the same as the earlier gens (IFS up front and Solid in the rear with a 8.8"). The rear has leaf springs instead of just the normal sport mono-leaf spring. I believe the engine is slightly different; but maybe someone with an 01 will chime in to tell you for sure. The tow package should come with 4.10 gears, the trans cooler (mine isn't a tow package and it had the cooler), but I think the springs are the same. Hope that helps

-Drew

I've been looking around and found some stuff, but i'm looking for sepcs per model examp, XLT, XLS, etc... But your info is great gives me a good idea of what I'd be working with. Thanks!

I think the 01 sports look awesome

Back