Intake manifold gasket? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TireguyRandy

Reaction score
City, State
Fairhope alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer xls
Yesterday I drove around 5-6 miles and when i stopped I noticed white smoke/steam coming from under my hood so I checked and found a puddle of coolant on my manifold the vehicle has never run hot I checked my oil to see if there was coolant in my oil but there isn’t I can’t find any visible leaks anywhere would my intake manifold gasket cause the coolant leak the vehicle is throwing codes for a vacuum leak in my intake manifold if anyone could help me I really would appreciate it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thermostat housing likely leaking

You can pin point coolant leaks when you remove the upper plenum to replace the intake o rings, very common for these engines to need intake plenum o rings

Thermostat housing likely leaking

You can pin point coolant leaks when you remove the upper plenum to replace the intake o rings, very common for these engines to need intake plenum o rings
Plenum?

I would upgrade to a metal water outlet/thermostat housing.

Two-Sensor Metal Housing: $40.79 More Information for SKP SKRH144D

One-Sensor Metal Housing: $34.79 More Information for SKP SK121259

Before I upgraded I was cracking housings all the time in the Texas summers. Now with a metal one I have not had to add any coolant in over a year.

I would upgrade to a metal water outlet/thermostat housing.

Two-Sensor Metal Housing: More Information for SKP SKRH144D

One-Sensor Metal Housing: More Information for SKP SK121259

Before I upgraded I was cracking housings all the time in the Texas summers. Now with a metal one I have not had to add any coolant in over a year.
I replaced the thermostat housing in my Sport Trac 4.0 with one from Simmons at the recommendation of somebody else on the forum: 2002-2010 Explorer Metal Thermostat Housing (SA2)

$135?!?!?!?!? That's a rip off!

Just don't use the thermostats that come with the SKP, reuse the OEM ones.
Yeah that is a ripoff for a thermostat housing but a little cheaper than my options the cheapest metal one I found where I live is 181.99

Yeah that is a ripoff for a thermostat housing but a little cheaper than my options the cheapest metal one I found where I live is 181.99

What's keeping you from ordering the one from RockAuto?

What's keeping you from ordering the SKP from RockAuto?
I would order it but I need to fix it today my wife and I have been sharing her vehicle since it messed up today is the first day I’ve had off to actually work on it I’m hoping like hell it is the thermostat housing and not the intake manifold gasket that’ll be a lot easier to fix

I would order it but I need to fix it today my wife and I have been sharing her vehicle since it messed up today is the first day I’ve had off to actually work on it I’m hoping like hell it is the thermostat housing and not the intake manifold gasket that’ll be a lot easier to fix

I think you'd still come out cheaper to just get a OEM plastic one locally so that it's drivable and order the metal SKP from RA and replace it when it comes in. It's a pretty easy job and not much coolant loss.

You'll probably need that tiny hose that goes on the bottom. Mine was swelling up. Only Motorcraft makes them.

It was expensive for a thermostat housing, but it’s well made and made in the USA. Ford should have made them this way from the factory.

I don’t know anything about the SKP one, but I imagine it would last at least as long as the OEM plastic one.

Either way, it’s an easy fix, and I would bet it’s where the leak is on yours.

Back