Intake Manifold Gaskets - P0171-P0174 | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Intake Manifold Gaskets - P0171-P0174

Click the link above that I posted on 11-02. Read all!

If you wind up changing your intake gaskets both above and below the fuel rail, I'll be interested to know if you need the gasket set that FelPro specifies for '96-7 engines, or if you wind up needing the set for 98-01, like I did on my '97 with an April build date.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:mad:i changer intake gasket and o-rings full new tune up change new gas filter new air filter i check maf it looks like somebody change and put new maf and put 3new oxygen sensor and new exhaust work after cat the light was off for one whole week my anf my girlfriend went out movies mall into bang the check engine show up again i reset with my scanner i did a drive cycle from philly pa to cherry hill n.j and drive to my cousin in brooklyn n.y.c for the weekend the only think of is clogged fuel injection i check fuel pressure 30 p.s.i :mad:

Tighten bolts

had the same issue and codes. I tightened the bolts on top of the manifold and that solved the issue :usa:

If the codes don't return, you are lucky! If you only recently bought yours, it may be that the gaskets were changed and not torqued properly.

First Gen

This write up was pretty useful. I was surprised to see differences, but then I realized the write up was for a 2000.

I have a 1992.

Main things to note on 1992 (or first gen?):

There are more vacuum lines on the drivers side by the EGR valve. I think there were 6 all on a tube or connector. (this includes the brakes, and various other lines I have no idea where they go)

There is a vacuum line connecting to an evaporator box up to a tube right by the main air intake. I missed this one a the first time. I could definately hear it though.

There is a bracket underneath the coilpack that has two bolts attached to the upper intake. I had to bend this bracket back to get the intake off, but bending it back and reattaching can be a pain. I couldn't see/find another bolt below to remove it entirely. This is the pain in the butt part for me.

When the plenum comes off, (after taking off the E7 Torx bolts), its attached to all the injectors. I'm not quite sure how I got them all back in, didnt find that trick..but seems like I did...everything is running better. This would probably be a good time to either replace injectors or the O-rings on them?

Dave

97 Push Rod V6 Eplorer

I have a 97 explorer 198,000 miles. First time I have had to take the engine apart at all. Just regular maintance.
Thanks to all who have posted the lean condition both banks and fix for it previouslly, made replacing my intake gaskets an easy job. Would have been done in 2-3 hours if I had the right gasket set. Be sure when obtaining you specify PUSH ROD or SOHC, they are different! The steps though in previous links appear to be the same except the EGR tube for the PUSHROD. I was able to to get the intake off without removing the tube by twisting the manifold, just be carefull when installing not to pinch the oring on the tube as it goes back on the intake. Takes a little bending, light oil. And also be sure to re-torque the intake studs E7 torx socket to NM or inch pounds as well as the 6 nuts holding down the intake.....mine (3) were loose! Old gaskets were very brittle. Fired right up when done and ran smooth. Now to get 200 miles on it so it can be inspected!

Thanks again for all the help / pictures! :salute:

hello everybody i finally have no check engine light i fix my problem i change the dpfe sensor CODE P0401 i reset check engine light perfect nomore check engine on i finally happy inn my life NOMORE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON I

Back