Intake Upgrades | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Intake Upgrades

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should never use a dryer type hose. It causes turbulance (bad). Use only smooth pipes, laminar flow (good). It is just basic fluid mechanics.

You should never use a dryer type hose. It causes turbulance (bad). Use only smooth pipes, laminar flow (good). It is just basic fluid mechanics.

am i crazy or does the stock intake tube have ribs? not picking a fight i just dont see your logic.

It does, I dont use my stock intake it just sits on the front porch.

Imagine water flowing through the dryer hose. At low flow it flows into each dimple, fills up, and flows to the next. At high flow, it jumps and moves in a random motion. Now imagine a smooth pipe, at low flow, the water just flow constantly down the pipe. At high flow it flows straight with much turbulance. It is a bit more complicated, but this should do. Yes I am a professional engineer.

I looked at the sticky post and that looks ok. But, if the 4.0 doesn't draw that much air, would a simple K&N filter replacement be just as effective?

BTW, what will a BBK throttle body do for the X?

I run a K & N filter element with the hose pulled, works good for me. I may add a KKM in the future.

Just replacing the factory filter with a K&N makes some difference, but even going from a K&N drop-in replacement filter to a KKM or K&N cone filter is a BIG difference.

A larger throttle body won't do much without the larger MAF/MAS, larger exhaust, and probably the chip and programming to take advantage of it. Just using a cone filter and a catback exhaust is a lot simpler and probably more bang for the buck.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

dito

Back