• Register Today It's free!

interceptor utility question

palfinger84

Reaction score
City, State
cabot
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 kenworth t370 servic
My in-laws have a ford explorer 5th generation with a lot of bells and whistles. what i like the most is the captains chairs in the back doors with a 3rd row bench in the rear. is a police utility interceptor able to be converted in to this type of set up. 2 front seat, 2 mid seat and rear bench?? thanks for the time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My in-laws have a ford explorer 5th generation with a lot of bells and whistles. what i like the most is the captains chairs in the back doors with a 3rd row bench in the rear. is a police utility interceptor able to be converted in to this type of set up. 2 front seat, 2 mid seat and rear bench?? thanks for the time.

Everything bolts right in if you have the floor brackets and hardware. I swapped my 2nd row bench in the PIU with a Ford Flex 2nd row buckets and 3rd row seats. I would recommend getting manual seats, not power 3rd row. I'm missing all the power and wires for the seat controls which is proving to be a little challenging to get things to fold. Also if you want to store the seats, you will need to get a space save spare and possibly the trim out of a retail one. One other thing to remember is that there is no carpet in the rear so 3rd row will have a bare floor unless you put carpet in or a mat down.

Don’t you have to remove the rear-impact protection brace?

That is correct, you need to remove the 60 MPH rear impact brace. The 3rd Row seat bolts in where the brace would go.

I started a blog about some of my modifications, it's not step by step documentation but more of a narrative on what I did. There are a few pics of the process, but everything bolted right up more or less, the key was just getting all the necessary pieces off the floor of the donor vehicle, so I took everything I could, no reason not to have extra parts in this case! The only big unexpected thing was the rear seat belt upper mount holes in the C pillar. While the hole to bolt in was there, I was not expecting to have to tap threads into it.

Rear Seat Upgrade

One other thing I through would be great but turned out not to be is that while the full size spare technically fits under the rear seats, (I wasn't planning on stowing the seats in the trunk), it's impossible to get back out, even with all the trim removed and rear seat mounts un bolted I still didn't have enough room to get the spare out and had to completely unbolt and un-latch the rear seat to get it out. So no spare tire for me right now, it's in the garage for now.

Let me know if you need any other info or pics, happy provide any other info you need.

Nice blog. I really like the second row seats.

I started a blog about some of my modifications, it's not step by step documentation but more of a narrative on what I did. There are a few pics of the process, but everything bolted right up more or less, the key was just getting all the necessary pieces off the floor of the donor vehicle, so I took everything I could, no reason not to have extra parts in this case! The only big unexpected thing was the rear seat belt upper mount holes in the C pillar. While the hole to bolt in was there, I was not expecting to have to tap threads into it.

Rear Seat Upgrade

One other thing I through would be great but turned out not to be is that while the full size spare technically fits under the rear seats, (I wasn't planning on stowing the seats in the trunk), it's impossible to get back out, even with all the trim removed and rear seat mounts un bolted I still didn't have enough room to get the spare out and had to completely unbolt and un-latch the rear seat to get it out. So no spare tire for me right now, it's in the garage for now.

Let me know if you need any other info or pics, happy provide any other info you need.
I did something similar, but have an airbag light which worries me.

Back