Intercooling the 4.0 ohv/sohc with Ford Supercouper M90 | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Intercooling the 4.0 ohv/sohc with Ford Supercouper M90

I figured I better start a new thread, as my old thread goes on forever detailing my 4.0 ohv M90 install, motor rebuild (Funny thing about that), etc. Here's the original thread that brought me to this point: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=345617

The issue I am currently having with my M90 install is that I am attempting to increase boost, but cant get the intake charge cool enough. I tried water/meth and had limited results. James with Henson performance just cant do anything more with the tuning till iat's come down.

So, Ron at RPCaster (Building an intercooler for me), and Tim (Vroomzoomboom) who is going to perform some magic on a hood cowl (It was either that, or a body lift to get the additional height for the intercooler). These are the two components I am not able to do myself.

I have detailed logs of my iat's, and am going to do a dyno session before and after install. This will give some great real world numbers.

I'll detail the whole thing as I go (The good, the bad, and the ugly).

For starters. Here is what Just came in the mail.

Attachments

• Winnipeg-20130410-00150.jpg
    Winnipeg-20130410-00150.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 1,129

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yup, that's correct. And it inch can come off.
I see what you mean about it looking really tall. It will look great.

So, this house I'm helping with just had all the copper stolen out of it. Can you believe it? I didn't know if my buddy was going to laugh, or cry. Hopefully it won't take long to run new pex. Amazing. Lol. They even took the water meter.

Can't wait to see the hood;)

They have hit my works ac like two or three times.we had to put up cameras and barb wire fence around them!!:(

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

copper

The house next to me was being rented out, when the guys left they took all the copper pipes out and didn't even shut the water off. The water was running out the basement window down the side walk.

They were actually pretty careful, all thing considered. Bizarre. Good thing, as there is no insurance as the place is vacant.
They cut the copper pretty close in a few spots, and I thought I was going to burn the place down soldering pex fittings on tonight. There wasn't even any water to put the fire out. haha :(
Although, I think there would have been insurance on that as the house was occupied by us, and you are insured against stupidity. It might have been a great solution.

for me this is a good thing (sorry, but it is). that means i have more time to play around with your hood......which i didnt do a thing to tonight :rolleyes:

Good for you Tim. I'm jealous. I really need a couch night or two.

You get your charger back yet? Everything look good?

Yes. chargers back, and good. I ported the inlet side a bit to try to mske it breathe a bit better. Nothing crazy, just angled the inlet sides by the bearings to square it off a bit more like the next gen supercoupe M90. I didn't want to go too far and blow a hole thru it.

Im hoping another couple of weeks and I'll be able to get back at it.

well guys.....
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3169098#post3169098

I really wanted to complete this project, but the kids will be driving it and are really concerned about gas mileage. The gas mileage is really quite good, unless your hard on the gas.

I think I will be pulling some parts out, and installing the large pulley. Too bad.
The M90 will remain on there though. I'll keep it running, and in the family.

Over the next week, it will be me trying to figure out how to do the vehicle import thing.

Maybe over the winter I can start working on figuring out layout and parts for a remote turbo setup.

I'm pretty excited about picking up a vehicle in such great shape and actually having options.

There is a very good chance that the intercooler will find its way on to another vehicle. Someone has to pick up the flag where I dropped it. I mean, I do have all the parts minus the hood.

WHHHHAAAATTTTT!!!! DANGGGG!! O how things change in a sec..LOL still think you should put the IC on.will help a lot for the motor.

But congrads!!!! LET THE FUN BEGINE AGAIN! ! LOL:burnout:

Im really in limbo. I might even have to pull the whole sc setup so the kids can run regular gas.
We will see what happens.

I don't want to put the intercooler on as its so much work for Tim to make that hood. The kids could never appreciate the work that goes in to this stuff.

That 2000 Limited just looks so nice from the pics. As long as it looks that way when I pick it up I'll be really excited.

I'm hoping to find a home for the intercooler setup. Too soon to know where the pieces will land.

I could even end up with all the parts for an ohv sc setup in one box for someone. Someone would be getting an amazing score. Lets see where it goes from here.

You definitely have some options. If you bought the 5.0 Explorer and planned to mod it you can use parts you already have.

Personally, I would return the OHV back to stock or close to it. Swap your Delta cam back in and sell the 422. That way you wont need the SCT tuner anymore. Then swap over your fuel pump, injectors, big maf, wideband and gauges, tuner etc to the new ride. You wont have to pull the heads or mess with the exhaust that way. Could sell your supercharger and stuff you wont be needing. Just some ideas that could free up parts and cash.

Going back to stock would be easy, except for the egr and cam.

I think I'm going to go back to the largest pulley and see if light water/meth injection will allow the truck to run on 87 octane.

The kids wont be able to afford premium gas. It will be a worthwhile experiment to try I think.

Swapping cams doesn't excite me at all. I guess if I had to I could. I wouldn't have to pull the heads, just the lower intake to get at the lifters.

Then its trying to get the egr to line up properly with the the headers. more pain.
The main thing I would gain would be freeing up that SCT for my new truck.

The boost gauge and A/F ratio gauges will come out either way once I get the truck running in its final state.

I really don't know what the final answer will be. More testing I guess.

to hell with the EGR, its nothing but problems anyway. Let the CEL be on if need be, I doubt your kids will care. I think another day in the garage swapping cams and such would be worth it financially. Testing to run on 87 is a good idea, however you wont really recover any pricey parts. Whatever you decide stay positive.

reverting to stock

. . . Personally, I would return the OHV back to stock or close to it. Swap your Delta cam back in and sell the 422. That way you wont need the SCT tuner anymore. Then swap over your fuel pump, injectors, big maf, wideband and gauges, tuner etc to the new ride. . .

The SCT Power Flash can be used to program up to 5 different VINs. If you restore the strategy (stock) tune to current Explorer you'll have 4 VINs left to program other Fords. I'm thinking about purchasing a SOHC V6 Mustang for afternoon drives/meals with my wife in the mountains. I have two new spare sets of timing chain cassettes. If I decide to do any programming mods to the Mustang I'll purchase another Power Flash since going back and forth between Explorer and Mustang constitutes a VIN use each way.

I swapped in my m90 with the coated rotors tonight, and installed the big pulley. I'm seeing 3 - 4 lbs boost max. Not exactly over driving it. I put the smallest water/meth injector on and set the ramp to start at at 1 lb boost and end at 10. Not exactly over driving that either. Hopefully the reservoir lasts for a while between fills.
Next step is to try a quarter tank of regular and listen for death noises.

It's worth a try, anyway. I sure would like to keep the m90 on there. It was so much time and learning I'd like to keep it going, and in the family for a year or two more.

I'm having a few regrets, but I'm sure they will go away when I'm driving my new limited.

hoping you can keep all the m90 stuff on there. its cool to know one of the few supercharged v6 trucks lives just down the road from me. i would be a shame if you did have to pull all of it off however, but you gotta do what you gotta do. that as well with the new motor in there, that thing will probably live on for another 10+ years i bet.....as long as nobody meets a dear with it.

Honestly, Im still torn on completing the intercooler portion. Im just not sure the kids can afford the gas, and to complete a project like this and then sell it to someone who would have no idea what was done or how to fix it would mean the end of the truck for sure.

Its also way too much to ask of Tim to put all that time and energy in to the hood with no real knowing where the truck would end up. Really, I couldn't possibly pay him for all the time he'd be putting in to it. I guess I could do the back yard cut up and hope I don't end up with something too cheezy.

James says he'd be very surprised if I can run on 87 octane (even with a big pulley) without an intercooler. Heat is the enemy.

I don't want that intercooler to go to waste. It will get used, one way of another.

btw, I thru in some regular last night and no detonation on the way to work this morning. Still a mix of regular and premium in the tank. I'll see what happens to mileage and if detonation occurs under different temperatures/loads with straight 87.

Old girl still running?;)

sitting on the driveway uninsured.

I'll pull it in to the garage this week and start on the upper control arm, lower bj, and axle seal. Then I just have to remove the intercooler rad, pump, boost and a/f gauge in anticipation of mounting it in my new project.

Then it will be ready for the kids to get to university and back. They will appreciate driving it in the winter, but I'm sure the gas mileage will make their eye's water (Not that its bad, just not a compact car).

I'll be picking up the turbo this week.

Back