How to: - 4.0 ohv/sohc performance t5 hybrid transmission | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: 4.0 ohv/sohc performance t5 hybrid transmission

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
The tailshaft has to be a synchronized reverse or something like that ...i cant remember the words or terms..i mention cobra because pretty sure they used the zspec or whatever parts..been years and im extremely tired

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's all good. Honestly I wasn't even expecting a reply to my first post today, I appreciate what you have done and how much you have helped.

I'll look into it some more and update with what I find. Might not be today, but I want to make sure the information is out there. Not only will it help me and potentially other RBV owners in the future, there are a lot of other vehicles that might be interested.

I know the 2.8Ls are used a lot in certain classic car markets. Those guys use a bell housing from a 70s Mustang 2.8L and have to cobble it from there, those parts are getting harder to find. I've seen a bunch of people consider 4.0L swaps and dismiss due to lack of good transmission options. Truck transmissions just dont work out well in cars. Ironing this out will give all of them one more option.

I'm doing this for selfish reasons, I want to use my engine with a better transmission. If I figure it out and write it down I'll loose it. If it's here I've got it to reference. No reason others can't benefit at the same time.

I should have documented more here. I finished the swap then posted the highlights. Are you going to do anything to the engine? Some people use the 2.9 hydraulic cam stuff in the 2.8

Bottom end has less than 5k miles, so don't intend to touch anything there. The heads were mildly ported by my dad back in the 80s, he also installed an Offy intake, Holley 390 carb, headers, and converted to Duraspark Ignition. During the rebuild I added a comp camp and refreshed the heads. I planned to add rocker shaft spacers, but don't recall for sure if I was able to get a set for it or just did it in the '99 Ranger's 4.0L. If I didn't then, I might add them and do the free float rocker mod during the swap since I have access to a lathe now. I'll be under the valve covers anyway for a tuneup and changing them to some cast aluminum covers I picked up second hand many yeares ago.

I might swap the comp cam for the next larger cam. IIRC I ment to order the 241 cam, but either misordered or received the 240 cam instead. I decided at the time that it was probably for the better since the 241 was advertised at 264 duration, .428 lift, and mid rpm gains. The 240 on the other hand was 252 duration and .423 lift and lot-mid rpm performance. Decide that combined with the intake and long tube headers that was better for the truck. With this car I'll probably be running at higher RPM and might benefit from the higher power band. Sould probably look into what cam the Sumbeam Apline V6 guys use since that is similar in size and weight to the car I'm considering. That said it might be more effective to regear the car or do an axle swap since one of those will eventually happen anyway. I'll worry more about that when the time comes.

First I've heard of people using 2.9 hydraulic valve train stuff in a 2.8L. I imagine that would require machine work on the block at a minimum, just not worth it to me. I've heard of 2.9 valves, even a 2.9 crank, but never 2.9 cam and lifters.

If I had to pull the heads I might consider having them professionally ported and 2.9L valves installed while off, but probably not worth it for my purposes. Should be plenty for the car its going into for quite a while. When it dies, or I get tired of it, I'll either go to a 5.0L or a 4 cylinder turbo. Not worried about transmission not being compatible because I'll probably go automatic and paddle shift. Lots of dollars in transmissions, controllers, and parts.

I've done some more reading. Looks like Ford added a reverse synchro to the T5, possibly somewhere around 1993. Definitely in the 95+ Ford T5s. I can't tell if the output shaft is reverse synchro specific, but it sounds like the tailhousing is. Seems like one would be best to source output shaft and housing from a 94+ Mustang T5, but it sounds as if it can be V6 or V8 parts.

One thing to note is you may need to look into the speed sensor setup on these parts if you need it for your setup. For my use, I'm probably going GPS speedo, so any should work.

At this time I can not say if the S-10 output shaft and housing would work with this conversion. I am not planning to use that housing, so I'm not going to spend much time looking for that info at this time. Going to remove S-10 mentions from the parts list since I can;t confirm it, but they may work.

So lets revamp that list again: <still a work in progress>
  • 90-97 4.0L flywheel (or swap to S197 mustang flywheel and clutch if you've got 8 bolt)
  • 90-00 4.0L Ranger 10" pressure plate <make sure it's a 10" OHV, SOCH may have been larger>
  • S197 Pilot bearing
  • S197 4.0L clutch disc
  • S197 4.0L T5 w/ bellhousing and slave
  • 95-05 Mustang T5 tailshaft housing
  • 94-05 Tremec T5 WC or Astro A5 output shaft
  • Slave cylinder QDs
  • Tailshaft internals (top cover, shifter rod, shifter cup socket/cup, spring and ball)
  • Shifter
Still thinking a S197 and parts transmission would be the easy fix for me. The S197 transmission could probably be had for cheap since it's a real oddball, and V6 Mustang T5s are everywhere. I'm pretty sure I can get both for $400 each or less using car-part.com. Probably beat that using craigslist, FB marketplace, or eBay.

I paid $200 for the T5 I used. I looked at using the V8 T5 and having someone either make or machine the input shaft to work with the 4.0 bellhousing, plenty of shops willing to make it happen. I gave that idea up and had to throw it together cause it was used as a work vehicle that needed to move under it's own power asap. That's why the transmission mount brackets were a stack of washers, I intended to set the angle of the transmission to 6 degrees then weld brackets. If I was doing this project over, I'd look at a quicktime bellhousing so I could use an external slave.

Oops accidentally posted before ready and can't delete.

I guess it was around noon today when I discovered that QuickTime makes a bell housing for the 4.0L and T5/TKO.

Good to know that bellhousing is available. IMO doesn't change anything regarding this thread.

• QuickTime Bell housing (p/n RM-4060) ~$1400
  • ??-95 Mustang 5.0 T5 $1000+
  • Slave cylinder and conversion parts $$$

I can't see pulling that off for less than $2500 based on prices I can find the parts for in a quick local search. If I want the 2.95/0.63 ratio trans the price is even higher due to what it came in.

I can get the used transmissions for less than $800. Probably less than $1000 to combined, rebuild, and install.

I can't see it costing $1500 to swap gear sets and have the input shaft machined if I decide to do that. I could use also use that 1500 to regear and upgrade the rear suspension. Probably result in a better product and have some.miney left when finished.

In addition to that the HTOB is a bonus for me. Ranger has plenty of room in the trans tunnel, the small il looking to put it in has a lot less room. Internal slave means one less thing I have to make room for.

Back