Intercooling the 4.0 ohv/sohc with Ford Supercouper M90 | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Intercooling the 4.0 ohv/sohc with Ford Supercouper M90

I figured I better start a new thread, as my old thread goes on forever detailing my 4.0 ohv M90 install, motor rebuild (Funny thing about that), etc. Here's the original thread that brought me to this point: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=345617

The issue I am currently having with my M90 install is that I am attempting to increase boost, but cant get the intake charge cool enough. I tried water/meth and had limited results. James with Henson performance just cant do anything more with the tuning till iat's come down.

So, Ron at RPCaster (Building an intercooler for me), and Tim (Vroomzoomboom) who is going to perform some magic on a hood cowl (It was either that, or a body lift to get the additional height for the intercooler). These are the two components I am not able to do myself.

I have detailed logs of my iat's, and am going to do a dyno session before and after install. This will give some great real world numbers.

I'll detail the whole thing as I go (The good, the bad, and the ugly).

For starters. Here is what Just came in the mail.

Attachments

• Winnipeg-20130410-00150.jpg
    Winnipeg-20130410-00150.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 1,129

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sitting on the driveway uninsured.

I'll pull it in to the garage this week and start on the upper control arm, lower bj, and axle seal. Then I just have to remove the intercooler rad, pump, boost and a/f gauge in anticipation of mounting it in my new project.

Then it will be ready for the kids to get to university and back. They will appreciate driving it in the winter, but I'm sure the gas mileage will make their eye's water (Not that its bad, just not a compact car).

I'll be picking up the turbo this week.

O I'm sure they won't mind;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, boost gauge, innovate a/f, and intercooler radiator is off and going to be mounted in its next victim. All I have left is to pull the intercooler pump out.
Trucks had its wheel alignment, interiors had a quick clean, and the kids are now driving it. I took it for a burn yesterday, and it still feels pretty good. Love the low end torque.

The kids are pretty happy to be driving something that's custom.

Well, boost gauge, innovate a/f, and intercooler radiator is off and going to be mounted in its next victim. All I have left is to pull the intercooler pump out.
Trucks had its wheel alignment, interiors had a quick clean, and the kids are now driving it. I took it for a burn yesterday, and it still feels pretty good. Love the low end torque.

The kids are pretty happy to be driving something that's custom.

:chug::biggthump coolest dad of the year!!!! Lol

Are your kids good enough drivers to say make a run against the 5.0? Or maybe Tim can drive one or the other! ! That I wanna see!!:popcorn::popcorn:

That would be fun!
I wouldn't want to encourage that behavior in a 18 year old(ha ha, I'm such a hypocrite), but Tim on the other hand.....

That would be fun!
I wouldn't want to encourage that behavior in a 18 year old(ha ha, I'm such a hypocrite), but Tim on the other hand.....

Start them young!! Lol ;)

COUGH COUGH. ..TIM:D

im staying out of this. my kid is 16 1/2, and he knows what i am like, and has heard the story's of what i was like when i was younger. believe it or not, i have calmed down with old age if you can believe it....

I believe it.

Your nic gives the away.

im staying out of this. my kid is 16 1/2, and he knows what i am like, and has heard the story's of what i was like when i was younger. believe it or not, i have calmed down with old age if you can believe it....

You have calmed down:shifty_ey:shifty_eybut drive a SC 5.0 hahaha.I have calmed down also.lol I say you drive his 4.0 and race him in the new stock 5.0:popcorn:

Yup, I agree. Would be fun.

Then I wanna see TIMS SC 5.0 race the turbo 5.0!!! Haha:popcorn::popcorn::chug:

Next year.

You have calmed down:shifty_ey:shifty_eybut drive a SC 5.0 hahaha.

i have....sorta. i had/have a 81 capri that back in the day had a warmed over 351w in it. took the motor out and sold it, and have slowly been redoing the car. its been shelved for a few years......it now has a 429 big block in it.....

i have....sorta. i had/have a 81 capri that back in the day had a warmed over 351w in it. took the motor out and sold it, and have slowly been redoing the car. its been shelved for a few years......it now has a 429 big block in it.....

I liked those 302 Capri body styles. I'd stick a Cleveland in one though, with CHI heads and 408-427CI, and it'd fly. Do the brakes and suspension first though.

Back