• Register Today It's free!

Interior flooded...What to do??

Rob Slade

Reaction score
City, State
Wake Forest, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Tacoma DoubleCab
I went wheelin the other night and got stuck in a puddle. The muddy water seeped in through the bottom of the doors and flooded the entire interior. I have steam cleaned all of the carpet so that there aren't any more stains, but underneath the carpet the padding is still wet. Will the padding ever dry or am I going to have to get the entire carpet taken out and a new pad installed? I pulled out the drain plugs and have been keeping the windows down to try and let it dry, but it seems to not be working. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Go buy about 30 of the little smelly trees because you're gonna need it when that starts smellin :D
Other than that I'm not sure. I flood a Ranger a few years back and I didn't check the pad but it turned out fine. Stunk like sh*t though

Don't wait to let it dry on its own. It will leave a musty smell. If it did, steam clean it again then blow dry it. Spread over some baking soda powder to prevent it from smelling.

Solution!!!

Just pull the carpet out and let it dry. It's too bad you don't live here in Texas, you could just park it out in the sun and crack the windows and it would be dry in no time. But really, I would pull the carpet and pad out till it get dry. It doesn't take that long to do. And if you think the pad will stink just get some of that Febreeze crap that they make for cars.

Yeah, I'm having the carpet and pad pulled out. The pad is going to be replaced. The pad is glued down to the floor and the carpet, so I can't just pull it out without replacing it.

My way would've been easier. ;) But your way is definitely the right way but a lot more work.

Carpet sucks, I pulled mine out and herculined the floor. :) Now when the floor gets dirty i clean it out with a garden hose and a soft brush.

Talk about low maintenance. :)

Originally posted by Doug
Carpet sucks, I pulled mine out and herculined the floor. :) Now when the floor gets dirty i clean it out with a garden hose and a soft brush.

I've heard you mention this a few times but never saw any pics of it. Can you start a thread and post some pics of the interior. Or direct me to where some pics are.

Thanks

Hey Doug. Please don't be offended but your truck looks like crap. ;) What's up with the mismatched tail lights? :D

Originally posted by X-factor
Hey Doug. Please don't be offended but your truck looks like crap. ;) What's up with the mismatched tail lights? :D

Who ever told you trees dont attack lied to you. I actually have matching tail lights now. :) And I dont really care what it looks like, i didnt build it for people to say "ooooh look at that pretty explorer!" I built it so i can hit the rocks. :)

When I flooded my ride i cleaned all the water out with a wet dry vac, and let it sit outside to dry, and I have had no musty smells whatsoever, so if you do a real good job sucking the water out, it shouldnt matter

Jason

Originally posted by Doug
I built it so i can hit the rocks. :)

An Explorer with a true purpose. Functionality over looks. I, sir, salute you. :)

Originally posted by X-factor
An Explorer with a true purpose. Functionality over looks. I, sir, salute you. :)

Why thank you. :)

Dude this is going to sound dumb but it will work. You can go to Walmart or were ever and get a 10 pound bag of cheap ass rice for like $3.80, coat the carpet pretty think with the rice, park it in the sun with the windows up. The reason you put the windows up is to keep the rice from sucking the moisture from the outside. It will suck all the water up, if there is too much water put the rice in your oven at a low temp 125-150 for an hour or so. Or do not be a cheap ass buy two bags. And you can keep the rice around for the next time mess up!;)

Originally posted by a1993eddiebauer
You can go to Walmart or were ever and get a 10 pound bag of cheap ass rice for like $3.80, coat the carpet pretty think with the rice, park it in the sun with the windows up. The reason you put the windows up is to keep the rice from sucking the moisture from the outside. It will suck all the water up, if there is too much water put the rice in your oven at a low temp 125-150 for an hour or so.

You give a whole new meaning to word RICER. LMAO... :D :D :D

I also pulled the carpet and pad out about 2 years ago and lined it w/ Herculiner. It is nice to be able to use the waterhose to rinse it out. Although I dont really do that much either. It is a trail explorer only and not driven on the road so it to was built to hit the rocks.

You can also use a household fan to help drying.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back