Interior Liftgate Handle for 2006 XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Interior Liftgate Handle for 2006 XLT

miltm4444

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford Explorer
My 1996 XLT had an inside strap handle to facilitate pulling down the Liftgate when closing it from the inside. No such handle exists on my "new" 2008 XLT, but there appears to be an indentation on the inside liner of the tailgate to accommodate one. Were any of the 4G Explorers fitted with inside tailgate handles? Thanks.

PS: Oops! Thread title in error, should read 2008

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

that strap was for really short people and children to close the lift gate.... but after 2nd gen ford stopped selling explorers to short people and children, so the strap was no longer necessary.... if one can not open the liftgate from the inside why would one need to close it from the inside?.... the seats are too high to get in from the back and jump over them and sitting in the back is a very expensive ticket....

Interior Liftgate Handle

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear as to the use of the handle. My wife (who happens to be short) used the strap handle provided in our '96 XLT to pull down the Liftgate when closing it from the outside. I am a bit taller but found it convenient as well.

mine has a handle on the lower right side.. never noticed it until now

Liftgate Handle

Thanks for checking Fats. Mine must be missing. Do you think the '08 handle is useful enough for me to try and find one. The '96 had a strap handle that hung down when the Liftgate was up. You could use it to lower the gate enough to grab hold of its bottom edge.

Thanks for checking Fats. Mine must be missing. Do you think the '08 handle is useful enough for me to try and find one. The '96 had a strap handle that hung down when the Liftgate was up. You could use it to lower the gate enough to grab hold of its bottom edge.

dont know how useful it could be since I didnt know it existed until last night.. lol
But this is because I only open my liftgate if I need to remove a taillight, show someone my sound system, lower the 3rd row, change a flat or adjust an amp...

2i8aax.jpg

Interior Liftgatr Handlle

Thanks for the great pic.....it answers all my questions. My handle was removed for some reason or other and there are two hex head bolts in what were its mounting holes. I believe the handle would be helpful and will have to try and find a replacement.

I am new to the ExplorerForum and this was my first post. Guys like you make it a great resource and I thank you again for your help.

Back