Interior Lighting | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Interior Lighting

RBRoAB

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer Sport Trac
I've been thinking about adding some blue LED light bars to the interior of my ST.

Just a few questions. How hard would it be to install? How much would it cost? Any specific brands I should try? Something I could do myself? Could I have a switch for it?

On a side note, my instrument cluster is all green. I'm sure some of you know the color I am talking about. If I were to put in blue lights, would I be able to change the color of my instrument cluster?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

look up MustandP51 hes done a ton of amazing and informative LED write ups.

Someone on here did blue LEDs in his st. Pretty sure its in one of the pages in show off your sport trac thread. And yes you can change the cluster color but it will be a bit of a pain just a heads up.

When you say light bar you mean accent lighting right?

Yeah I was on here a while ago about changing the cluster color. I believe someone said they had to lightly scrape off all of the green film from the back of the panel. Maybe I'm mistaken.

And honestly, I'm not sure haha. I'm such a n00b at this type of stuff. I want the floorspace of my ST to be blue.

It actually started with the amp for my sub. There's a bright blue LED bulb on it that turns on when the amp is getting power, and it made the floor or the backseat look pretty cool albeit it was a very small area.

I will be doing this very soon. I have some exterior and interior paint projects then window tinting and this is right there on the list. It's extremely easy, hardest part is figurin out where you want the bars mounted. I helped my buddy in his Little hundyai hatchback. He has a loud 15" in the trunk and we put maybe 8 of those led bars in his.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=300585288283&index=1&nav=WATCHING&nid=85205713706
Here is the kit I'm looking at. Sorry it's a mobile link I'm using my phone lol. The item number is: 300585288283
Idk if I want under body lights yet or not but they have lots of reasonable an warrantied kits on their store. Extremely high ratings too. All you need to do is run a + and - to the control box from the battery, the lights all connect to that and a switch box as well. Hide the box somewhere (maybe the center console) and mount your switch. Easy as pie.

c09ee3cd.jpg

3f010b6a.jpg

This is the trac I was talking about with the lights in the footwells.

The strips like this (http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Pilot-Automotive-10-in-white-LED-flexi-light-strip/_/N-262s?itemIdentifier=835535_0_0_) are really easy to install and because they're flexible and use double sided tape, they can be put just about anywhere. Also a lot of them you can cut to specific lengths.

Be weary of the autozone kits. Really weak wires and the LEDs do not always work.

i just replaced my dome lights with blue leds

IMAG0077.jpg

IMAG0082.jpg

you can kinda see the blue interior in this pic
IMAG0372.jpg

That looks crazy awesome.
My only fear is how it would clash with the green of my cluster lights.

But I see you have it with the lights. So what do you think of having the green and blue?

Theres always been a blue oval right in front of the cluster :D

I think the wow factor of blue interior lights would cancel out any doubt of them going together. I'm only saying this based on seeing pictures though.

You can always turn the interior cluster off or dim it! :D but I think I'll be converting the cluster lights to LEDs soon. Some people's cluster looks blue with a white LED and the green tint...

Remember to check your local laws.. Any color of exterior lights except red, amber and partially white (only for headlights) is illegal. Blue is certainly illegal and some cops follows those laws strictly.

Its just accent lighting on Kazer's ex

Back