Intermediate Servo stuck? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Intermediate Servo stuck?

BobWeiss

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanitc City, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
I am trying to replace the servos on my 91 Ex and after I got the catalytic converter out of the way I had easy access the Inter. Servo cover. I removed the C type clip holding the cover in place but I cannot get the cover off. I can't move the servo by hand either (not sure if you should be able to anyway). I did manage to compress the spring and piston by lightly tapping the cover with a hammer but all that did was push in the cover and it doesn't pop out on its own either. There is rust around the cover and I don't know any other way to remove it?? Do I have to pull the tranny to get it off? I didn't try the overdrive servo yet since this one is giving me problems. I did notice in the manual that they said sometimes you need to use air pressure to remove the pistons/cover. How does this work?

Also, would this be a problem that would cause late shifts and having to give it alot of gas to even start moving in 1st and reverse?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Bob W.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You don't have to remove the transmission to remove the pistons. As you have already found out, the pistons are spring loaded. The covers have an O ring holding them in place. Since the case, and piston covers are made out of aluminum, I don't see how any rust can form on them. Did you try to tap the corners of the piston covers to get them to twist? What about trying to get them to turn? Use a small screwdriver, or punch to try this.

I was able to get it out by using air. It was stuck really good. The rust is from the deteriorating floor shield and its piled up in the lip of the servos. I scraped them out then used an air hose and lightly tapping with a hammer and it shot out....NICE!

Now on the the overdrive piston..this has the Y pipe in the way so getting the C clip off is going to be real tough. I might have to take the Y pipe off to gain access.

Let me ask this, how difficult is it to put the new ones in without the cover compressing tool?

Thanks...

It's a little difficult, but not impossible. I don't have that tool, but use a welding C clamp style Vice Grip pliers. Where did you connect your air hose line? Did you drop the pan? They make a bigger servo, and cover (ZC model) for a more positive shift. It allows more fluid to push the servo. Some people were originally afraid that if they use it, there might be a small time delay, since it is pushing more fluid into that area. If you use a high ratio boost valve in the valve body with O rings, and end caps with O rings, you shouldn't feel any time delay. This will allow the proper amount of boost without taking away the needed pressure from anywhere else in the valve body.

I put a small tip on my air hose and pushed 20lbs into the hole in the valve body where the fluid goes into the servo. It shows it in the manual. I already have the valve body off and rebuilt that using the Transgo kit plus Sonnax parts. I was also able to get the servos back on by hand but it was tough to get the C-clip on. I used snap-ring pliers to do it but the ring kept popping off just as I would get it close the the servo cover..Took about 20 tries and cursing at it to work. Now onto the next delima, the vacumm modulator hold down nut is TIGHT! Its hard to get a wrench on it from in the vehicle. I have the floor panel off to gain access from up top but either way its not moving. I squirted it down with penetrating oil last night to soak all day. I am going to try a deep 1/4" socket on it tonight. Nothing is easy with this tranny... Its never been opened it 10 years I bet.

Bob W.

Back